What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any new RV-11 rumors?

kevinh

Well Known Member
Its been a few months since the last update. Anyone heard anything unofficial from the OR area ;-)?

The RV-11 sure look nice :) I first flew solo with an K-8 only 16 years old. I read through the whole "story", and it seems that the concept is a 15m single seat mototglider with somewhere around 35/1 gliding ratio. There probably is a market, but I think one major problem for most people is that it requires a looong shop, at least 8-9 m (22 feet) to build the wing. I think practical things like that has to be solved, and the -11 will sell.

Unless it has a 3 piece...

The RV-11 sure look nice :) I first flew solo with an K-8 only 16 years old. I read through the whole "story", and it seems that the concept is a 15m single seat mototglider with somewhere around 35/1 gliding ratio. There probably is a market, but I think one major problem for most people is that it requires a looong shop, at least 8-9 m (22 feet) to build the wing. I think practical things like that has to be solved, and the -11 will sell.

...wing.

A 10 ft center section would give two 20 ft panels for a 15 m wing. The bending loads are also less out that far, allowing smaller (lighter) joining pins.

The center section does need to be removable for trailering - the 8 ft center section on my old Duster made for a legal, but not very convenient trailer.

I asked Van about the -11 at SnF. He said it is in the back of his mind, but on the back burner. Basically, it is the market. He mentioned the Sonix motor glider and the lack of sales.

Last edited:
Van's engineering department must be working on something now that the work on the -12 is done. I can see that the motorglider market could be too small. I'm sure they aren't all just sitting around.

RV-11

I asked Van about the -11 at SnF. He said it is in the back of his mind, but on the back burner. Basically, it is the market. He mentioned the Sonix motor glider and the lack of sales.

I too talked to Van about the motor-glider at S-N-F. He said that there had been some interest shown but he sounded pretty much non-commital. I told him that if he does offer it, I will definately build one.

bummer - I'd so much want to build/fly one of these...

bummer - I'd so much want to build/fly one of these...

The latest and greatest in self launch motor gliders (I have been told, I'm not a glider pilot....yet) is with the self storing electric motor. Rumored to 3-4 launches to 6,000' per charge and the battieries can be replaced in minutes of you want to go up more. "Sustaining" a launch can allow you more time in the air depending on soaring conditions.

There are a couple of them out there, but the Pipistrel Taurus motor glider is one to watch, they are working on the electric version, but currently offer one with a Rotax 503. 30-1 glide ratio. Pricey, but very cool. The Sirus & Virus are ready to fly, but come in kits also.

http://www.mcp.com.au/pipistrel-usa/

There are something metal just can't do. These planes are works of art.

Last edited:
Back