What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Failure

MED

Well Known Member
The VPX in my RV-14A displayed an alternator fault error just before we landed at BAK on the way home from OSH. The fault cleared on the ground, but recurred after departure. Fortunately, I used the stand-by alternator to make the approach into BAK and for the flight home, so we were not stuck somewhere in Indiana. A forum search suggested the problem could be in the plug - a broken wire or corrosion, since the plug is not potted. I wondered if the problem might be heat related. I inspected the plug and wiring with nothing observed, then flew a test flight and the alternator fault recurred. So, I ordered a replacement Plane Power alternator from ACS (1AMU + $200 core charge) and installed it yesterday. This morning, after rechecking everything, I cowled up and flew. No issues, so the problem appears to have been internal to the alternator. Monday I will return the core for my $200. ~343 hours at time of failure. :eek:

Keerapp...
I put a PP on the -4 200 hrs ago. My rocket project came with one.
I hope I'm not about to buy another alternator anytime soon.
I'm worried about the one on the Rocket because I have an EarthX battery. Its unnerving to see the amp load jump right to 60A when I flip on the ALT switch right after start.

Last edited:
The VPX in my RV-14A displayed an alternator fault error just before we landed at BAK on the way home from OSH.

Take it all the way apart, remove the brush carrier/regulator assembly, also the rectifier packs (the grey things with the 4 blisters) and see if one of the 4 stator-to-rectifier wires has broken...

Just curious...

Take it all the way apart, remove the brush carrier/regulator assembly, also the rectifier packs (the grey things with the 4 blisters) and see if one of the 4 stator-to-rectifier wires has broken...

Just curious...

From the ACS return policy:
Any unit being returned for core or warranty core credit shall be, as removed from the engine, complete and not disassembled.
I am hesitant to jeopardize my $200.

Earth X size matters

Keerapp...
I put a PP on the -4 200 hrs ago. My rocket project came with one.
I hope I'm not about to buy another alternator anytime soon.
I'm worried about the one on the Rocket because I have an EarthX battery. Its unnerving to see the amp load jump right to 60A when I flip on the ALT switch right after start.

The 680 is rated for a 60-amp alternator but is unnerving to watch especially when your 60-amp alternator goes above that. These batteries will accept huge current input. That's why I went a 900. It can accept 80 amps input, is only 70 bucks more and you get 4 - 5 amp hrs more for only one more pound, great battery if taken care of.

Back