What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airtex E2315 Fuel Pump

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
My fuel pump went out a couple weeks ago. It was an E2315. I order one online and the pump says not for marine or aviation use. When I looked on the forum many say it's the same pump used on Airflow Performance. Is E2315 the same pump Airflow Performance uses?

What would be the difference between auto, marine, and aircraft? I would assume the one used for boats would be more resistant to corrosion, but other than that is there really a difference?

Thanks,
Daren

My fuel pump went out a couple weeks ago. It was an E2315. I order one online and the pump says not for marine or aviation use. When I looked on the forum many say it's the same pump used on Airflow Performance. Is E2315 the same pump Airflow Performance uses?

What would be the difference between auto, marine, and aircraft? I would assume the one used for boats would be more resistant to corrosion, but other than that is there really a difference?

Thanks,
Daren

Daren- AP no longer uses Airtex pumps and I would not recommend it. Please do a VAF forum search with the single word “anatomy” as search term. The hits will include a five-part thread I recently published here relating to my search and study of fuel pump performance. The first in the series, all with “Anatomy of a Fuel Pump” in their titles, shows a dis-assembled Airtex, and the fourth will show you a much better choice.- Otis

I need a new Airtex E2315 fuel pump. Tried the search function of the forum as posted above but no luck. Anyone have a link to the above or suggestions for a replacement boost pump?
Thanks!

I need a new Airtex E2315 fuel pump. Tried the search function of the forum as posted above but no luck. Anyone have a link to the above or suggestions for a replacement boost pump?
Thanks!

You should try Google search. I found a single ebay listing for what looks to be a genuine E2315. But, it also looks like Airtex doesn't make these anymore as most suppliers are out of stock. Also found a Delphi FD0011 which is for the same applications and appears identical to the old Airtex. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1112863

Caution When Experimenting With Fuel Pump

There is a recent RV accident that was probably due to fuel related (speculation on my part). The gov wants to know information regarding the brand of fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line routing, fuel circuit, etc...

The gov people are very knowledgeable about the Airflow Performance products from the Vans Aircraft website catalog but was interested of knowing if the RV can use an obscure fuel-pump and fuel filter like the accident aircraft.

I realize this is experimental aviation and we can use anything we want in our RV. But at the end of the day, nobody is going to see the inside of the RV looking for the fuel pump unless it's a condition inspection or a prebuy inspection. There is no extra Lindy point for fuel pump. There has been a lot of problems in the forum about the Andair fuel pump but people choose this pump because it's something different. In the end a boost pump has to work when the RV takes off or bad things can happen. Just a word of caution to the community.

I wanted to update this thread. The E2315 fuel pump used in the legacy vans fuel system proved impossible to obtain. There is no direct replacement for that pump. The DELPHI FD0011 pump suggested in this thread is exactly the same except it moves one fitting about half an inch. It is overall a better pump. The difference required redoing a hard fuel line. Rather than do that we ordered flexible fuel lines from TS flight line. Once again I can’t say enough good about their service. We replaced all 3 lines for a very reasonable price with his braided Teflon lines. The new pump works perfectly. The failure in the 2315 was fuel starting to leak from the end cap on the pump creating a fuel smell in the cockpit when the boost pump was running. The pump was about 18 years old. I suspect as more of these pumps age others will see a similar failure. Despite the leak being very minimal the fuel smell was strong. If you experience a fuel smell with the boost pump running here is where to look.

Attachments

• 03DF1CD1-DDAC-433C-9671-DE2EEAF38640.jpeg
    03DF1CD1-DDAC-433C-9671-DE2EEAF38640.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 42
thanks for updating for those of us that may need to go down this road. Interestingly I just looked at this option:

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-FD0011-Electric-Motor-Solenoid/dp/B000CGJXAA

It shows a pump that seems to match the original, unlike the one in your pic that adds a hex to it, extending the effective length. Even has E2315 stamped on the side.

Larry
I suspect that additives in the fuel have possibly erroded the sealing o'ring at the end cap, causing a minor leak. Speculation on my part; not I havent done an autopsy on a pump. I may leave that to Dr. Horton, or Otis. As for the extended hex banjo fitting on the pump outlet, I would assume the original fitting could be removed and reinstalled on the new pump, since they are both the same body lengths. Delphi, or whomever, didnt mould in a banjo fitting into a plastic housing.

Tom

We considered that option but did not want to damage the new pump. Probably should have pulled the one out of the old pump. That would have let us know if they could be swapped.

thanks for updating for those of us that may need to go down this road. Interestingly I just looked at this option:

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-FD0011-Electric-Motor-Solenoid/dp/B000CGJXAA

It shows a pump that seems to match the original, unlike the one in your pic that adds a hex to it, extending the effective length. Even has E2315 stamped on the side.

Larry
That does look like a perfect match. Oh well, the new one is installed! Anyone with a legacy vans system should save that part number.

Back