What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice on cracked oil filter assembly

Hey there VAF folks!

Just looking for some advice on how to tackle this oil filter assembly issue. It’s off a Lycoming O320 H2AD and has two cracks by the threads from what I can only assume was over tightening.

At any rate, I’ve only found one for sale and it’s being sold ‘as-is’ so I’m retaining some skepticism that it’s a good part.

Anyone else run into this issue or have advice on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance!

-TJ

Attachments

• IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 353
Sorry to say but it’s trashed and you’ll need a new one. As you surmised, someone over torqued the fittings and cracked both threaded holes. What a shame.

The equivalent P/N is LW16118, and those are also available new from different sources.

Take it to a Tig welder, if you can't find a reasonable replacement. Most of the Lyc Alum parts are 6xxx series and easilly welded. Will need a machine shop to re-tap the threads and mill the surface flat and chamfer after welding. I assume Divco would do this for a flat fee of $50-100 and may be easier to just ship off. It is a pretty easy job to fix that.

Last edited:
Someone really screwed that up.

Since you don't want to lose your oil in flight, I would take the recommendation to send that to DIVCO and let them fix it if they will. This is not somewhere you want someone to go to school at your expense.

Oil Filter Adapter

Would not fit - My T-18 (H2AD) let me know if interested.

mg

Attachments

• IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 137
Filter adapter

I may have one or two. Will check this weekend.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up being able to snag one off eBay. Swapped it out and seemed like a good fit. Hopefully this one stays together for many more flying hours!

cracked oil filter

It fit the H2AD, but not enough room between it and the T-18 engine/gear mount.
I should have stated that better.
mg

Back