What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd opinion wanted for location of Vertical Power PPS module

N804RV

Well Known Member
Getting ready to make a hole in the firewall. So, I thought I'd solicit a 2nd opinion.

I want to locate the Vertical Power PPS module where the forward battery mount would be. I'm installing an AGM battery in the aft location for CG considerations. And, I've already located the VP-X module on the cross braces just forward of the instrument panel.

Anyone done it this way, or have any suggestions?

53533683389_6ddbb0e393_c.jpg

53532475412_4cbaf53f1c_c.jpg

Hey Ken,

I would wait to drill holes or mount anything FWF until you can install the engine mount and test fit the engine. It’s gets very busy behind the engine. That’s what I did.
I also brought my power wires through on the right side (Pic attached). My battery is mounted approximately where you have your PPS. Hope this helps.
IMG_3559.jpegIMG_3554.jpeg

I dont know if the VP-X is designed to handle the heat in the engine compartment? My AFS ACM (similliar to vpx) is mounted behind the panel.

I dont know if the VP-X is designed to handle the heat in the engine compartment? My AFS ACM (similliar to vpx) is mounted behind the panel.
This is the PPS module in the 1st picture. The install manual says to mount the PPS to the firewall. The PPS module takes the place of the starter contactor and controls power to the starter and main bus. It also provides additional functionality for alternator operation and interface with the EMS/EFIS.

The VP-X is mounted to the cross braces just forward of the instrument panel in the cockpit.

Hi Ken,
The location you selected is excellent IMO, you probably know that. If you have the aft battery setup then you could use a firewall pass through ( eg from Blue Seas) for the main battery lead & use welding cable ( Bob Nicholls suggestion ) from that fitting to the PPS & same, but smaller cable from PPS to VPX. Are you using CCA cable from aft battery to save weight? HTH.

Hi Ken,
The location you selected is excellent IMO, you probably know that. If you have the aft battery setup then you could use a firewall pass through ( eg from Blue Seas) for the main battery lead & use welding cable ( Bob Nicholls suggestion ) from that fitting to the PPS & same, but smaller cable from PPS to VPX. Are you using CCA cable from aft battery to save weight? HTH.

I am using the 3/8 pass-through terminals on the firewall for the Batt+ and Main Buss wires. I didn't want to use CCA for the Batt+ wire. I've heard some negatives about CCA and starting amperage.

As far as weight goes, I do have aluminum airfoiled gear legs though, so that saves about 15lbs. I'm probably going to have to come up with some sort of scheme to add ballast weight for a more aft CG when flying solo. But, I'm gonna wait til I'm ready to do the weight and balance before worrying about that.

Here's more pics of how I think I'm gonna do it. Mounting some antennas this week, so maybe I'll get to actually doing this next week.

53562720780_7c5f1c5872_z.jpg

53562599424_5174288414_z.jpg

53562599409_c6d039cc48_z.jpg

Getting ready to make a hole in the firewall. So, I thought I'd solicit a 2nd opinion.

I want to locate the Vertical Power PPS module where the forward battery mount would be. I'm installing an AGM battery in the aft location for CG considerations. And, I've already located the VP-X module on the cross braces just forward of the instrument panel.

Anyone done it this way, or have any suggestions?

53533683389_6ddbb0e393_c.jpg

53532475412_4cbaf53f1c_c.jpg
Just to complete the picture please can you include a photo of where you have mounted the VPX

I’m in similar spot as OP, my plan was to put pps and battery fwf, battery up high and pps below it. My vpx behind inst panel as in pic.
Two remote coms below the shelf the vpx is on.
IO-360-M1B/WW-330 w/ vans cowling
I have the aft battery tray ready just in case

Attachments

• IMG_6964.jpeg
    IMG_6964.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Just to complete the picture please can you include a photo of where you have mounted the VPX

Its mounted under the avionics shelf just forward of the instrument panel. It looks a little better now than it does here, since I've cleaned up the wire bundles and clamped them better.

53635594413_b90c57008c_c.jpg

53635818610_13eddca84d_c.jpg

Back