Apologies for the later than usual edition push. Pilot monitored two check rides yesterday in the sim – five hours on motion. Needed some sleep.😴

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Rv-10 rolling fuselage carts …some pics.
Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.51.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.58.49 AM.png

Fuel measuring stick for RV 6A
I made the dipstick for my "6" from a sacrificial broom handle. The first photo below provides dimensions. l then epoxied in a nylon hook to easily flip open the fuel caps. You'll notice that at the lower end there is a notch in the side... the oil hatch on the top cowl is not spring loaded open and the dipstick serves as a prop to keep the hatch up when topping up the oil - the notch in the dipstick keeps it in place on the lip of the cowl. The measurements are correct when the dipstick is placed at the rear of the tank opening, although they're very close even if you're in the middle.
My caps have a built in dipstick made from 0.063" aluminium and are calibrated in 5 litre increments. On the subject of the left cap shown in the photo, this was from my father's RV-12 and I had it inscribed in rememberence. Some people might think its bad ju-ju but the heck with that - I'm proud to have a piece of his plane flying with me all the time as a tribute.
Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.47.38 AM.png

Dynon pitot heat repair
On my last flight I turned on the pitot heat but the indication showed a failure to come on and there was no amperage increase like I normally see. Once back on deck I checked to see if the pitot heat 10 amp fuse had blown but it was still intact. Next step was to remove the left outboard wing inspection plate and check for voltage at the heat controller connector. Voltage was good so it had to be either a bad pitot tube (low probability) or a bad controller box. Both of those units have been in the aircraft for the last 9+ years and have worked flawlessly until now. Clearly out of warranty but I still reached out to Dynon for some troubleshooting tips.
Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.48.36 AM.png

New plenum build - RV7
Some progress from this last week. We got the first round of RTV down and got the oil cooler line in. Next week is formed in place gaskets for the plenum lid and diffuser nozzles and securing the SKEET tube so it doesn't rub the motor mount, then we should be ready to fly again. Just in time to take it back down for condition inspection
Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.50.01 AM.png

Engine mount alignment to firewall
Has anyone ran into this issue? My upper right engine mount to firewall bolt hole is not aligned well with the engine mount. The result is that there is uneven pressure on the washer even after it is tightened. Is this a big problem? The bolt goes in, but is riding to one side of the hole of the mount.
Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.51.12 AM.png

West Coast Formation Clinic 2024 - Madera, CA …Cougar
This year’s West Coast Formation Clinic 2023 will be on April 25-28, 2024 in Madera, CA KMAE. Applications will be closed by the end of the day on 19 March 2024. To apply and/or for additional details, visit the WCFC 2024 website link below. Open the page and clink on Application tab and submit your info.
Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 4.13.29 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 7.53.42 AM.png

PS: Older issues of the β€˜VAF News’ can be found at:

Last edited: