VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

Took Mom for a Ride …Retooferab
https://vansairforce.net/threads/daily-rv-pic.199639/post-1754428
Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 4.53.27 PM.png

From Last Weekend …rbenua
2 new types and 7.8 hours in the logbook this weekend - 5.5 transition training in Alex De Dominicis' RV-7, then a couple more of pattern work with my co-owner yesterday to get used to the differences in my new-to-me -9. We started on the long runway at Byron C83, then moved to progressively shorter runways at LVK, PAO, and back to a light but bumpy crosswind at SQL where the plane is based. All my tailwheel experience prior to this is in Citabrias, so the experience and speeds especially in the -7 was a lot different.
Of course, I didn't think to take pictures of any of it, so I'm attaching one from the hangar a couple weeks ago when I went to check it out after closing.
With how the day worked out, I didn't end up with a chance to go solo yet, and my work will probably keep me from sneaking out to the airport during this week, but I'm really excited about it - hopefully I'll remember to take some selfies for the RV Grin section next weekend.
Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 4.55.29 PM.png

Mexican Mountain PIREP …Vlad
(4) pictures
I visited this past weekend. Challenging. East end is soft but not muddy. Leave the wheel pants at home.
Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 4.56.32 PM.png

High Altitude Flight
On the way to and from Sedona this weekend, I ran into something very interesting.
I was at 13500' and 14500' MSL. I notice nice fluffy clouds outside at my altitude. Nothing major, just some cumulus-like clouds. They were translucent, so I could kind of see through them. I was about to let the Otto (autopilot) fly through them. Here is what the panel was saying:
Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 4.57.33 PM.png
Then I noticed the outside air temperature. Then it hit me ICING. Not a good idea to fly through visible moisture that is below freezing. So i turned the pitot heat on, and switch to heading mode and did a 5 degree diversion for a few miles.
Be Careful Out There
https://vansairforce.net/threads/high-altitude-flight.225290/

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 4.58.15 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at: