The VAF News 3.13.2024

Four years ago today I started a part time sim gig at CAE to help w/bills. In that time I got my ATP and have become PIC typed in the Gulfstream 450/550, King Air 350 and Phenom 300 (for each 100 sims you support they let you go through a course). I've done 454, averaging 1 sim every 3.2 days for 4 years. Crazy how fast it went. The RV and tailwheel skills absolutely helped. Talked with a friend recently who has a LOT of RV tailwheel time. He got a job at a regional flying a jet, and when he got to V1 cuts in the sim he texted me ‘what’s the big deal?’. Couldn’t agree more. RV tailwheel time makes V1 cuts boring.
New topic: Got a little tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) I’m dealing with. Using the other hand on the computer is ‘interesting'. ;^)
Hope you have a nice Wednesday,
dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

The Dogs in RVs Thread …Kevin M Entry
Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 6.10.00 PM.png

SB-00088 for RV-12iS published - Inspect and optionally replace attachment hardware for radiator
https://vansairforce.net/threads/sb...lace-attachment-hardware-for-radiator.225288/
Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 6.03.12 PM.png

Oil On Windscreen Update …RWoodard
Yah, I was fortunate to have the best support a person in my position could ever dream of. The lead is a former B52 pilot and current T38 instructor pilot who just recently was promoted to Lt.Col. The other guy (in the other RV3) is a member of the KC Flight formation group. He gave me a ride back to KAKO yesterday morning in his Rocket. He’s also a 30 year A&P/IA so he helped me leak check the installation of the new prop and verified I wasn’t oozing oil from any other orifice.
I’m also very lucky in that the airport we were headed to for breakfast has a good prop shop on the field. I just abandoned the malfunctioning prop at their building on Saturday night. I talked with their prop guy this morning and he’s going to take a look as soon as he can.
I did my best this afternoon/evening to clean up 4 quarts of oil that went EVERY-Freaking-Where. I re-torqued and safetied the replacement prop to make sure I didn’t screw something up working out on the ramp in the cold and wind and rushed a bit by looming darkness. My little beast is buttoned up, wiped down, and refueled ready for flight as of about 30 minutes ago. I may get a quick flight in tomorrow morning, but it’ll probably have to wait until tomorrow evening because I have jury duty all week this week. Never a dull moment around here! 😏
I’ll make a post when the prop shop figures out what went wrong.
Edited to add: Thanks for the kind words, Fred, and nice to hear from you! I remember when we flew to Leadville in a 3-ship with you and your wife in your plane, me with Dr. Dean Hall in his RV-4, and Jon Johansson along in his RV-4. I need to dig up those pictures sometime. Probably in the 1996-1998 timeframe.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/wh...-weekend-march-9-10-2024.225180/#post-1754182

Baffling engine cap 3D print file
I have an STL file and 3MF. …… This is to cover the upper engine mount that protrudes through the baffling. Helping to seal up the leaks for better cooling. If there is another way to post the file please let me know. Other wise message or email me and I will send the file. I had them printed at craftcloud in PA12 nylon with glass delivered for $60.
Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 6.08.13 PM.png

Garmin adjustable pitot mount installation …Steve
I mounted my pitot tube on the outboard access panel, the one shared with the aileron bellcrank, but I offset the mount further outboard. See attached pic.
I bent both aluminum tubes to point aft then angled them to point at a wing rib lightening hole. Then I made the connection to the red and blue 1/4" plastic tubes, looping them into the next outboard bay before running them thru the wing ribs into the cabin. Think of a giant service loop.
Stein sells the 1/4" to 3/16" union to connect the aluminum and plastic tubes.
Note, I did this on my -9A which has 3 access panels per wing
Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 6.07.13 PM.png

Erratic fuel pressure . . . that gets better
I have been having erratic fuel pressure, but it slowly gets better after an hour of cruise. If I shut down the engine and let the plane sit 2 hours and go fly again, the pattern repeats. Anybody have any theories?
Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 6.06.16 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 6.03.39 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Last edited: