VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

Feature/Tip: 

‘Grid Layout’ displays the ‘Forums List’ view as a grid instead of a table. Some with big monitors might like this. It’s this button up in the upper right corner.
Screen Shot 2024-03-10 at 10.47.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-10 at 10.45.13 AM.png
Added over the weekend:
An ‘Upcoming Events’ subforum. Think of it as a sort of replacement for the old online calendar. It defaults to most recent view. I’ll delete threads after the event. This might be a nice place to put your weekend fly out or an upcoming local fly in. I’d suggest putting the date of the event where it is and what it is in the subject line.
v/r,dr

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (March 9-10, 2024)
Screen Shot 2024-03-10 at 10.59.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 7.10.47 AM.png

West Coast Formation Clinic 2024 - Madera, CA …Cougar
This year’s West Coast Formation Clinic 2023 will be on April 25-28, 2024 in Madera, CA KMAE. Applications will be closed by the end of the day on 19 March 2024. To apply and/or for additional details, visit the WCFC 2024 website link below. Open the page and clink on Application tab and submit your info.

Build On …Draker
Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 7.16.45 AM.png

Brought my Granddaughter for a ride. Top that!
https://www.vansairforce.net/threads/daily-rv-pic.199639/page-4#post-1753548
Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 7.18.51 AM.png

Firewall Bump …rph142
I’ve been battling high cht’s on my new build so I decided to add the firewall bump. I used .032 aluminum bent around a can of spray paint. Long story short my cht’s dropped 5-10f in cruise and my top speed went from 184ktas to 186ktas. The floor seems smoother too. Success!!
Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 7.20.06 AM.png

Spring Extension Pt2. …Dr_Dave_MT
I used that of spring extension for reaming the holes that are very close to the surrounding metal. Just ground square the end of the reamer to fit into the socket center square.
Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 7.20.36 AM.png

Matco Master cylinders …RV8Squaz wear PIREP
This is straight from tech support at Matco. In the attached picture of my installation, you’ll see how my bolt is a little cocked and that’s with no load. I may fix it the way he suggests but then again, I did get 17 years and almost 2000 hours out of mine. The attachment he refers to are those that are found on their website.
“The master cylinder needs the load down the centerline of the cylinder. When done so, there is no bending loads in the shaft that can cause the piston shaft to rub against the end gland. The VANS installation does not put the load down the center of the cylinder as desired. The connection at the shaft end uses a bolt that imposes an offset load. The offset load results in a moment that has to be reacted by the shaft. This typically results in the piston in the bore and the shaft at the end gland reacting the moment. This will cause wear on the shaft at the cylinder. The shafts must be able to fully extend when at rest for the hydraulic system to work properly and self-adjust as explained in the attached document.
There is an AN bolt on the toe brake that is loosely attached to a lug. Then a series of washers are installed to space the shaft in position. Since the bolt is not able to carry any moment, the shaft must carry it. It results in the shaft rubbing on the end gland which leads to scratches on the shaft which eventually damage the seal in the ID of the end gland. Some of the VANS pedals have a flange on both sides of the pedal that allow a long bolt to pass through both flanges and then attach to the shaft. I believe the RV-8 is one of them. This type mounting will allow the bolt to carry the moment and will eliminate the problem. It looks like yours is of this type. Others have stiffened the lug and used an all-thread bolt so that the bolt can be tightened against the lug with a nut. The now cantilevered bolt will carry some of the bending moment and relieve the shaft. Some simply use the all-thread bolt and nut which helps but the stiffness is likely not enough to eliminate the problem completely although it is helpful.“
https://www.vansairforce.net/threads/matco-master-cylinders.225159/#post-1753763
Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 7.22.49 AM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-03-10 at 10.52.10 AM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Last edited: