S1 in the books (BE300 initial). Had time for a V1 cut. Kinda fun. Tailwheel time in an RV kinda gets you ready.
Off to study...
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
---------------------------------------------

RV-9A First Flight ...Av8torTom
Well after more years than I'll admit, 15 years of paying college tuitions, and life gets in the way, N677AT took to the sky this past Saturday, Feb., 3rd
WHAT and airplane, smooth, fast, stable - flew hands off straight as an arrow. Cylinder head temps crept up into the 420deg range, but with a little reduction in power they were stable in the 330-370deg range. Flew with my instructor for half and hour between 75% and 65% power, then landed, de-cowled and inspected for leaks etc, making sure everything was satisfactory. Went back up for another hour spending most of the time at high power settings (engine break-in), but also did a little slow flight and power off stalls. Very stable in slow flight and stalls broke straight forward. Saw 155mph at 6.8 gph without gear leg fairings or wheel pants. I plan on spending a couple more hours with my instructor during phase I. My instructor has a 7 and said he was jealous how well my airplane flew!
Thanks to all here over the years who have generously answered all my questions and offered their encouragements. Here are a few pics, more to follow.
VAFDR_ 196 Feb. 05.jpg

GRT Derived AOA ...P.Dye
Something to consider when doing your calibration - recent statistical analysis of stall/spin accidents by our EAA AoA Safety Subcomittee (Alan Wieder is the power behind the analysis….) shows that despite the fact that we (including myself!) have always talked about the base-to-final turn as the critical place to prevent stall/spin accidents, the truth is that the take-off and initial climb phase has twice as many accidents from stall/spin as the landing phase! A lot of this comes from attempted turn backs, but they also come from showy pull-ups after low passes, etc…. What this suggests is that if you want a WARNING of an impending high AoA to prevent a bad outcome, the “flaps up” case may be more appropriate - unless you routinely climb out with full flaps…..

Carbon Steel vs Aluminum (Corrosion)
I'm trying to figure out how Carbon Steel and Aluminum will get along where priming the (non-structural) parts is not practical.
While researching, I'm learning a lot how various materials can cause corrosion, but I'm finding conflicting information.
I found the chart below, am I to assume that Carbon Steel and Aluminum are just fine together?
VAFDR_ 197 Feb. 05.jpg

Sticking Exhaust Valve - Diagnosis and Fix!
Problem found and fixed
I found and fixed the problem.
But first, let me thank everyone here who contributed and offered advice.
Took another look at the engine in the vicinity of #3 cylinder and I noticed something......
a small diameter hose was dangling. It came from the #3 cylinder.
There wasn't similar hoses coming from the other 3 cylinders.
It went to the firewall above the EFIS connectors.
It was the manifold pressure tap that went to the EFIS. It was open to atmosphere.
Reconnected it - made sure it will never come off again. Started the engine.
Runs smoothly

OFF TOPIC:
VAFDR_ 198 Feb. 05.jpg

Last edited: