Hello all, I recently sat in an RV8A, I’m 6”3 225 lbs. This plane didn’t have the tall pilot Mod done. My questions are can an existing airframe be modified or does it need to be added as the fuselage is being built? And if the Modification is done is the effect the same as the AntiSplat Almost a 14 Mod that’s done on the 6,7 and 9?
Thanks for any information.
Curt

The tall pilot mod is a different weldment to have the front seat recline a little bit more. Some also attach the bottom end of the seat back further aft to get more leg room.

It should be possible to retrofit the mod, but not easy. The F-816 cockpit rail is riveted over the top of the WD-808 which would need to be removed and replaced. Probably wouldn't need to remove it entirely, but at least enough for the weldment to be able to slide under the flanges.

The tall pilot mod is a different weldment to have the front seat recline a little bit more. Some also attach the bottom end of the seat back further aft to get more leg room.

It should be possible to retrofit the mod, but not easy. The F-816 cockpit rail is riveted over the top of the WD-808 which would need to be removed and replaced. Probably wouldn't need to remove it entirely, but at least enough for the weldment to be able to slide under the flanges.
I see. Thanks for the information

Was out at the airport and got a good look at the area. I've changed my mind. You would need to take out the canopy tracks, but not remove the cockpit rail. The rest is bolted and screwed. Shouldn't need to drill out any rivets. With the seatback and rear stick out of the way you could push it down and remove it that way.

The seat back however would also need to be modified. The F-832C angle is 28" in the plans, mine is 29" to accommodate the tall pilot mod. (Don't want the seat back to be able to fall past the weldment holding it up). Probably easier to make a new seat back rather than try to drill out and attach new angles. The F-832APP corrugated seat back part is the only expensive bit.

I actually just ordered the parts to remake that bit myself in something I'm calling the "Even taller pilot" mod to lift up the shoulder belts a bit. At a long torso 6' 4.75" or so the shoulder belts push down on my back uncomfortably.

Last edited:
Hello all, I recently sat in an RV8A, I’m 6”3 225 lbs. This plane didn’t have the tall pilot Mod done. My questions are can an existing airframe be modified or does it need to be added as the fuselage is being built? And if the Modification is done is the effect the same as the AntiSplat Almost a 14 Mod that’s done on the 6,7 and 9?
Thanks for any information.
Curt
Where was the location of the rudder pedals? I'm 6'7", 238lbs and fit with the rudder pedals in the full forward position, though I'm in the process of trimming an inch off my dash to give me more knee clearance. Most of my abnormal height is in my legs. I was looking into the tall pilot mod until moving the pedals all the way forward did the job.

I do not have the quick adjust pedals, so I had to become a bit of a contortionist to get in there and relocate the pedals.

Also, a thinner seat gave me an extra inch of knee clearance, but after I finish my dash mod, I'll go back to the thicker seat. I may be a bit more slender than you since I'm 3-4" taller and only 13lbs heavier.