Capt

Well Known Member
Anyone out there in RV4 land have a part number or a source for the mounting plates the non pressure recovery spats mount to! Mine are both showing signs of fatigue cracking where they mount. They look easy to make due being a flat plate but thought I’d look into what’s available out there first, if anything.
👍🛩

Not sure if you have an original set of plans or not but if you do the drawings are actual size on the plans. If my memory is right I think they are flat 2024T3 .063 thick.

Thanks guys. No I didn’t build the plane and can see they are pretty straight forward to make but I wanted to make two news ones first before I pulled the machine out of the air. I guess I need a template?

Thanks guys. No I didn’t build the plane and can see they are pretty straight forward to make but I wanted to make two news ones first before I pulled the machine out of the air. I guess I need a template?
The best template will be the cracked ones you have in use. Hole locations were laid out by the original builder and are “unique” to each build.
Cracking was a common problem with these (you can search the forum for more info). Some made their second versions from stainless with success (and a minor weight penalty).

Good luck,
Peter

Thanks Peter, Yeah I understand the original would best be used as a template but I was curious if a blank was available. Oh well time to pull it to bits.

Just as a side note. Does anyone know if intersection fairings are available ( gear to spat) for these early spats mine has none.

Just as a side note. Does anyone know if intersection fairings are available ( gear to spat) for these early spats mine has none.
That is kind of a custom area as the intersection can be different depending on what fairings are used and other variables. I made mine out of fiberglass cloth laid up against a modeling clay mold. They work well and are a tight fit. The bottom of the fairing comes off to facilitate the removal of the spat......

That is kind of a custom area as the intersection can be different depending on what fairings are used and other variables. I made mine out of fiberglass cloth laid up against a modeling clay mold. They work well and are a tight fit. The bottom of the fairing comes off to facilitate the removal of the spat......
I thought as much. Thanks👍