dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Planning a G3X in my VFR panel. Want two comm radios. Can one comm come from the G3X and the second from a GTN 650?

Follow-up question. If an additional piece of hardware is required for the 2nd comm, is there a lighter Garmin solution than installing the GTN 650?

Easy - use the 650 as Comm 1, and buy a remote GTR20 from Garmin for #2. You’ll be able to control it from the GDU, and you wont take up panel space.

The GTN-650 is a very expensive option for a VFR panel as most of its cost is associated with it being a TSO IFR navigator.

The G3X will do everything you need for VFR. If you want a second comm radio I suggest the very nice Trig TY-91 (remote mount) or the Trig TY-96A (panel mount).

Shoot fire, get one if each for your two comm radio install.

Carl

The GTN-650 is a very expensive option for a VFR panel as most of its cost is associated with it being a TSO IFR navigator.

The G3X will do everything you need for VFR. If you want a second comm radio I suggest the very nice Trig TY-91 (remote mount) or the Trig TY-96A (panel mount).

Shoot fire, get one if each for your two comm radio install.

Carl
+1. Why on earth would someone pay for a TSO’d GPS for a VFR airplane?

Hey Dennis. This is Dave. We met over at my buddies -9A hanger last Saturday at KGDW. I have the GTN 650 nav/com with the remote GTR20 as my second com hooked up to my G3X 10" touch along with a GMA 245 audio panel. I also have a stand alone legacy 7" G3X on the passenger side. I don't fly IFR but wanted the plane IFR equipped should I decide to continue my IFR training. Also, it makes the plane a little more desirable for when the time comes and I decide to sell.

If you only want a single comm radio, the GTR 20 is a great choice. You control it from the G3X Touch and it has a built-in two-place intercom. If you want two radios, I don't know whether the G3X Touch can control two GTR 20s but, if so, you could do that. If you want IFR capability, then a GTN Xi makes a great comm 1 and a GTR 20 makes a great comm 2. I do recommend using radios that play nicely with your PFD. You will love the workload reduction of using the G3X Waypoint Information page to find frequencies and send them to your radios.

I do wonder why you want two comm radios in a VFR panel. Presumably, you're building a VFR-only panel to save money, panel space, and/or weight. If you go with a single, remote radio with built-in intercom, you end up with everything you need for VFR flight without using dollars, square inches, or pounds.

Hey Dennis. This is Dave. We met over at my buddies -9A hanger last Saturday at KGDW. I have the GTN 650 nav/com with the remote GTR20 as my second com hooked up to my G3X 10" touch along with a GMA 245 audio panel. I also have a stand alone legacy 7" G3X on the passenger side. I don't fly IFR but wanted the plane IFR equipped should I decide to continue my IFR training. Also, it makes the plane a little more desirable for when the time comes and I decide to sell.
Dave, it was such a pleasure to run into you at Zettel. How ironic that we’ve met before and hooked up again in Gladwin

If you only want a single comm radio, the GTR 20 is a great choice. You control it from the G3X Touch and it has a built-in two-place intercom. If you want two radios, I don't know whether the G3X Touch can control two GTR 20s but, if so, you could do that. If you want IFR capability, then a GTN Xi makes a great comm 1 and a GTR 20 makes a great comm 2. I do recommend using radios that play nicely with your PFD. You will love the workload reduction of using the G3X Waypoint Information page to find frequencies and send them to your radios.

I do wonder why you want two comm radios in a VFR panel. Presumably, you're building a VFR-only panel to save money, panel space, and/or weight. If you go with a single, remote radio with built-in intercom, you end up with everything you need for VFR flight without using dollars, square inches, or pounds.
Useful points. Ty