tom paul

My RV7A with an IO360 has been sitting since my last flight in mid January. All was well then. I didn't mean to let her sit this long but life happened, so there it is. I know it isn't healthy for a plane to sit unflown for long periods. What should I be concerned about before taking her up next? What to check, what to change, etc...
I may get out there tomorrow. Thanks so much for any tips.

First thing that comes to mind is “critters”…. You have passed from winter into spring and all the creepy crawlies have been busy. Make sure they are not using your airplane as a condo.
+1. I've had (1) mud daubers/paper wasps/whatever in my pitot tube and (2) a mouse who set up housekeeping in the cockpit. Hangar neighbor had a rat snake climb aboard!

If the battery is too low to start the engine, do not jump it off with booster cables. Instead charge the battery with an appropriate charger before starting the engine so the alternator won't be overstressed trying to top off a low battery.

Lot of good suggestions here, but I'd also suggest it might not be a bad idea to pull the top plugs out and motor it over to get some oil flowing before you put the load of actually starting it on those bearings.

Also, Lycoming recommends changing the oil every 50 hours or 4 months, whichever comes first. It doesn't seem possible to me somehow, but mid-january was 4 months ago. Just something to think about.

Hangered is a BIG plus. Very complete preflight. Charge battery fully. Let it sit for a day and make sure it holds charge. Wheel pants? Check tire pressures. If you have room consider topping off with fresh gas. 5 months the fuel is OK, but putting in fresh would be good. As far as removing cowl checking plugs? No, I would not. A very good warm up, run-up is in order. All good go fly a tight pattern over airport check gauges. All good, go forth young man....

Thanks all. The plane operated perfectly in my first flight yesterday. I hopped out to Sky Manor, just for fun and happened upon the monthly meeting for EAA Chapter 643, so I met some awesome dudes and got to talk airplanes.

Thanks all. The plane operated perfectly in my first flight yesterday. I hopped out to Sky Manor, just for fun and happened upon the monthly meeting for EAA Chapter 643, so I met some awesome dudes and got to talk airplanes.
Congrats, and thanks for reporting back.