JeremyL

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I’m curious what app or program you used to get a paint scheme design if you are doing it yourself? Many thanks.

Hey guys, I’m curious what app or program you used to get a paint scheme design if you are doing it yourself? Many thanks.
I’m a bit far from that process, but last year Alana from Evoke offered a link to their samples, for a small fee you can design yours on a website and even if “they” do not paint your airplane, they’ll provide the necessary guides for your own process. Might be different now but they were very helpful.

I’m old school….paper and colored pencils….. 😉
After paper and color pencil I did my top choices in PowerPoint. then made several optional mods to lines. On my computer screen I could then toggle between options to compare which I liked better.

Hi Jeremy I'll be interested in anything you glean from this. I had an RV-12 in New Zealand with a paint scheme that, as I understood from the builder, came from Vans.
I'm in the throws of trying to buy another RV-12 here in Australia. One of the aircraft I'm considering is basic white with two small 'go faster' decal stripes down the side. I would look to give it a face-lift should I buy it.

TFP TG Landing Sun 19 Aug 2018-TRG Grass_by Peter Mole Copy.jpg

Adobe Illustrator. You can work with the full dimension views. AI files can be shared with the paint shop. If you want masking, Aerographics can take the AI files and cut them. It does cost more and the learning curve is much steeper than paper and crayons!:LOL:

We have a paint visualizer that is web based, pretty easy to use. Not perfect but let's you try out a bunch of different colors and schemes.

I used a Windows software called Model Airplane Color Design to try out different paint ideas. You can edit the design in-app, but I found their drawing tool to be pretty "clunky". So instead I drew the design on several 2D images, using a more advanced paint program, and then imported them into the MACD application where it "drapes" the designs over the airplane and lets you view it in 3D.

How long for the AI scheme generator?
Not long I think.

My son used Blender to put our scheme together. He's a whizz on Blender and it didn't take long but I believe it needs a good graphics card to run it. I gave him the 3-view drawings from the builders manual and in no time flat he had built a 3-D model that could be rotated to view from any angle on the screen. From there we added the various makings and ideas and he sent me screenshots along the way until we settled on the final outcome - which we sent to the paintshop for application. It was really useful to be able to see the "look" of the various ideas we had from different angles because, as we all know, you can make these aircraft look short and stumpy or long and thin simply by changing one or two small features of a paint scheme.