riobison

Well Known Member
Just wondering what everyone is using or doing to store their Journey Log book while flying?

In my 9 at the moment I have it strapped into the passenger seat or laying in the baggage area. Neither one is ideal.

I was thinking of building an aluminum rack and mount it to the back of my seat .

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Tim

Most of my friends use ForeFlight for their flying logs.

At the end of last year, ForeFlight added a limited time feature that would display all logged flights on a single map.

Most of my friends use ForeFlight for their flying logs.

At the end of last year, ForeFlight added a limited time feature that would display all logged flights on a single map.
Oh,

Im probably still living in the stone age. But then again the guy I bought it from is still doing the paper log books as well.

Im assuming if your doing this electronically that you transfer the digital files and this is all acceptable?

Thanks
Tim

Im assuming if your doing this electronically that you transfer the digital files and this is all acceptable?

Thanks
Tim
Yes, the regs say "reliable record" and the FAA is okay with digital ones. Probably a good idea to keep a backup copy.
To answer your question, I too still keep a 'pen and ink' paper logbook. I goes into a pretty heavy duty cover (Sportys) that also has pockets for my licenses and medical (basic med). And yes, I usually just throw it in the baggage area.

I keep my paper logbook at home, and fill it out a few times a year. I keep the Foreflight logbook updated regularly. Doesn't take long to transfer the information to paper.

Reactions: JGT
I keep my paper logbook at home, and fill it out a few times a year. I keep the Foreflight logbook updated regularly. Doesn't take long to transfer the information to paper.
Im hooped. Im a windows guy due to the software for my work for the last 40 some years. Tried some apple stuff years ago and when it started converting all of my music to i tunes, that was the end for me. No question that they have some good software for aviation but everything I use runs on Windows or Android. If I went electronic it would be a spread sheet or similar. Between keeping my efis running, a GPS, an Android phone and then try and strap an I pad some where into the mix and keep everything working and my eyes out side, Im not so sure.

Ill build a pocket and rivet it to the back of my seat and dump the log book into it.

Thats the plan

Thanks

Since the OP is from Canada, and he uses the term “Journey Log”, I think he’s talking about something very specific that most US pilots don’t have (not the airplane logbook)…..

just steering the conversation a little to what (I think) the OP intended….

Since the OP is from Canada, and he uses the term “Journey Log”, I think he’s talking about something very specific that most US pilots don’t have (not the airplane logbook)…..

just steering the conversation a little to what (I think) the OP intended….
I’ll bite: What is a journey log?

I’ll bite: What is a journey log?
Hey guys, Probably my fault here as I assumed everything was similar between us.

The Journey Log in Canada is the book that we record all of our flights for that aircraft in. Normally it shows departure and arrival airport, times, pilot, co pilot, weights, fuel etc. Ive followed the format from certified aircraft as Ive assumed our requirements are similar. Yearly inspections and maintenance is also recorded as well. It always stays with the aircraft and if we are ramp checked, we need to present it on demand.

Its in a big binder size thing with rest of the stuff and about 2 inches thick. Not something that you really want loose in the cabin.

Whats required down there?

Thanks

Tim

image of ATP AIRCRAFT JOURNEY LOG with sku:13-12323

ATP AIRCRAFT JOURNEY LOG
$49.85 at Spruce

The journey log is about 5/8" thick and 8.5"x11", not 2" thick. I think you are confusing it with the Aircraft Maintenance binder which has the airframe, engine and prop logs, which aren't required if you put everything in the journey log. The journey log must be kept in the plane if you are landing at an airport other than your home airport. I keep the rest of my docs (CofA, CofR, insurance, W&B etc) in an envelop taped to the back inside cover so it is all together. My mtc log binder is kept in the hangar, although, since I log all mtc in the journey I technically do not require it.

I made a compartment on the back of the pilot seat in my 4. I just keep it in the back of my 7 in the baggage compartment tucked behind the first aid kit and a baggage strap. Haven't decided what I am doing on my 8 yet. FWIW

Hey guys, Probably my fault here as I assumed ….

Whats required down there?

Thanks

Tim
In the US, we are only required to log time needed to show compliance with currency requirements (e.g., 3 landings/takeoffs every 3 months, to carry passengers, or 6 instrument approaches (or an IPC) every 6 months to exercise the privilege of an instrument rating, or a flight review or equivalent every two years), and also any experience requirement needed for a new rating. But most log everything, at least in part because insurance companies always want to know all flight time.

In the US, we are only required to log time needed to show compliance with currency requirements (e.g., 3 landings/takeoffs every 3 months, to carry passengers, or 6 instrument approaches (or an IPC) every 6 months to exercise the privilege of an instrument rating, or a flight review or equivalent every two years), and also any experience requirement needed for a new rating. But most log everything, at least in part because insurance companies always want to know all flight time.
The journey log (as I understand it) is for the airplane - not the pilot……

image of ATP AIRCRAFT JOURNEY LOG with sku:13-12323

ATP AIRCRAFT JOURNEY LOG
$49.85 at Spruce

The journey log is about 5/8" thick and 8.5"x11", not 2" thick. I think you are confusing it with the Aircraft Maintenance binder which has the airframe, engine and prop logs, which aren't required if you put everything in the journey log. The journey log must be kept in the plane if you are landing at an airport other than your home airport. I keep the rest of my docs (CofA, CofR, insurance, W&B etc) in an envelop taped to the back inside cover so it is all together. My mtc log binder is kept in the hangar, although, since I log all mtc in the journey I technically do not require it.

I made a compartment on the back of the pilot seat in my 4. I just keep it in the back of my 7 in the baggage compartment tucked behind the first aid kit and a baggage strap. Haven't decided what I am doing on my 8 yet. FWIW
Its in a soft cover binder with my pilot log book in it as well. Certainly somewhere between 1.5 and 2 inches thick. No, not my technical log books. They stay in the hangar and never in the airplane.

No confusion.

I use the soft cover binder to give the log book some protection. The older hard cover books would stand up to normal wear and tear. The newer paper back books don't and that's why it's in the soft cover binder.

Tim

Our journey log is stored in a zippered portfolio with the other documents required for flight in a Canadian registered aircraft. The portfolio goes in a bin attached to the back of the seat, along with a fuel sampler and fuel measuring stick. It's a good location for convenient access from outside the airplane.

By the way, you don't HAVE to record maintenance in the journey log. You can choose to record it in an airframe, engine and propeller log, like your certified aircraft. If anything happens to the aircraft, the technical logs are still available, since they are not in the aircraft.

By the way, you don't HAVE to record maintenance in the journey log. You can choose to record it in an airframe, engine and propeller log, like your certified aircraft. If anything happens to the aircraft, the technical logs are still available, since they are not in the aircraft.
This would be my concern and why I never carry logbooks in the airplane. They're safely tucked away either at home or in the hangar office. In the worst possible case, loss of plane and possibly me, all the records are safe (insurance, investigation, etc.). Don't know about Canada, but in the U.S., they are not required to be presented at the time of any ramp check, but must be available to be presented later if requested.