Manchu16

I currently only have a Hobbs meter and I use the Vans Tach gauge (No Tach Time). Getting ready to add a new engine monitor and replace my steam gauges. I will now have Tach time in addition to Hobbs. Currently Engine and Airframe are at 392 Hobbs Hours. So, do I….

* Start with “0” Tach Time
* Start with Tach Time = Hobbs Time
* Estimate 80% of Hobbs time (313 Hrs) and start there
* Just dont use Tach Time at all

WHatever you do, make a note of it in the log so future archeologists will know what the time you’re using means. Our RV-6 has had numerous panels and instruments (and a couple engines) over the years, and I spent close to a day reconstructing all teh various Tach, Hobbs and EFIS times and building a spreadsheet so that we had the most accurate estimates of both Hobbs and Tach times on a certain date - then we keep track from there.

In the end, its all an estimate anyway!

In that case I would probably do the following correction
Corrected Engine Time=Flight Time X .90 x .95 correction factor
392 hours x.9 x.95 = 335.2 hours

I would start from 0 and make it clear in the logbook. Future log entries will read something like "Hobbs 592, tach time 175, TTAF 592, engine SMOH 567," and you'll fit in just fine with all the other airplanes that have been flying long enough to get a new engine, new tachometer, and/or new Hobbs meter.

I would start from 0 and make it clear in the logbook. Future log entries will read something like "Hobbs 592, tach time 175, TTAF 592, engine SMOH 567," and you'll fit in just fine with all the other airplanes that have been flying long enough to get a new engine, new tachometer, and/or new Hobbs meter.
I guess there is no issue using hobbs time to continue to log engine time then. I was hoping to go to tach. It was overhauled during the build so the SMOH = TTAF, but the engine since new is closer to 3000 hrs tach.