g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Morning,

We released G3X (non-touch) Version 12.60 to the software download area today. Please note from the list at the bottom that many system LRU's have new software. After updating the software in the PFD1 with the SD card, the display will reset, and at that time it is best to hold down on the #1 softkey while it boots up in Configuration mode. Go to the System Information page on the PFD1 and watch all devices completing the software update before taking the PFD1 out of configuration mode, and verifying proper operation for the updated system.

There are a number of improvements included in this update, as well some behind the scenes improvements to improve system function and reliability.
  • New RS-232 Formats - Aviation Out is now available to be selected in the Serial data configuration menu. Aviation Out is Primarily used to provide GPS data to ELT units.
  • ESP Audible Alerting - When Envelope protection becomes active, due to an ESP threshold being crossed, a spoken audible alert will be issued.
  • ESP Disarm via AP Disconnect - When Envelope protection is active, pressing the AP disconnect button acted to remove torque from the servos. Now pressing and holding the AP Disconnect button for 5 seconds, will also disarm ESP. A CAS message will be displayed to indicated the inhibited state.
Change log:
  • Added voice audio alerts for ESP pitch and roll protection activity
  • Added support for Aviation Out RS-232 format
  • Added support for data log event marker via discrete input
  • Improved PFD wind display when calculated wind speed is small
  • Improved flight director altitude capture
  • Improved flight director HDG mode
  • Improved processing of MapMX RS-232 data
  • Improved best airport selection
  • Improved data logging
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to G5 software version 8.44
  • Includes update to GI 260 software version 2.90
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 5.00
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 5.70
  • Includes G5 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GEA 24B software version 2.10
  • Includes GAD 13 software version 2.10
  • Includes GAD 29 software version 3.40
  • Includes GAD 29C/D software version 2.10
  • Includes GDL 39 software version 4.91
  • Includes GEA 24 software version 3.90
  • Includes GMU 11 software version 2.20
  • Includes GMU 11 boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GPS 20A software version 2.40
  • Includes GPS 20A GPS software version 2.10
  • Includes GSU 25 software version 4.40
  • Includes GSU 25 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GSU 25C/D software version 2.90
  • Includes GSU 25C/D boot block software version 2.10

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Garmin,

Great to see new features and continued improvement, I note in the change log:
  • Improved flight director altitude capture
Any chance we can get a little more detail on this please?

Regards,

Byron.

Will this be the last OS update for the legacy G3X?

I was told at Sun 'N Fun (at the Garmin booth) that support for the non-touch G3X had recently been discontinued.

Will this be the last OS update for the legacy G3X?

I was told at Sun 'N Fun (at the Garmin booth) that support for the non-touch G3X had recently been discontinued.
I think it's pretty amazing that Garmin just released an update for the non-touch. I know so many people that are Garmin hater because of the price and continuous changes but being in the software and hardware industry for the past 25 years, I can attest that releasing an update for a hardware/product that is over 10 years old is almost impossible. If I'm not mistaking, the G3X Non-Touch (legacy) has been around for about 13 years.... If this is the last update, for those of us that have the non-touch, I think we are thankful to get it. Nice job Garmin.

Now when are you all coming out with a new G3X Touch Screen? We're going on 10 years now with the G3X Touch! Your competitor has released 2 new versions since the release of G3X Touch. It's time. ;) :giggle:

Now when are you all coming out with a new G3X Touch Screen? We're going on 10 years now with the G3X Touch! Your competitor has released 2 new versions since the release of G3X Touch. It's time. ;) :giggle:

We discussed that at the booth as well. While I have no idea when the Touch hardware update will be released, I was told it will have the same footprint the current G3X Touch and will be plug-and-play.

I think Garmin needs to work on reducing the size of its boxes for the G3X, such as the remote radio and other receivers, such as ADSB in, remote transponder, etc. I would also like to see the G3X be able to be a control head for the UAvionix Tailbeacon X (which is way smaller than the Garmin stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am a Garmin fan and have lots of Garmin stuff in my airplanes, but their hardware is getting long in the tooth size-wise IMHO.