Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
I have ETAD selected as a data bar field. By definition, this should be the estimated time of arrival at destination.

I've been building some very basic flight plans in the GTN 650Xi; (1) Departure point (2) Enroute point (3) Destination.

While flying from point (1) to point (2), the ETAD field is showing the estimated time arriving at point (2). It's showing what I would expect to see in the ETA data bar field (I don't have ETA displayed in the data bar field).

I'm sure this is some kind of user error on my part. Any ideas what I've configured wrong? Why is ETAD not showing the estimated time of arrival at point (3) while traveling from point (1) to point (2)?

ETA.jpg

If you only have the destination waypoint programmed they are the same. If you have multiple waypoints programmed the ETA will be the time to the next waypoint on the path while the ETAD will be the time to the final destination waypoint.

I've been building some very basic flight plans in the GTN 650Xi; (1) Departure point (2) Enroute point (3) Destination.

While flying from point (1) to point (2), the ETAD field is showing the estimated time arriving at point (2). It's showing what I would expect to see in the ETA data bar field (I don't have ETA displayed in the data bar field).

If you only have the destination waypoint programmed they are the same. If you have multiple waypoints programmed the ETA will be the time to the next waypoint on the path while the ETAD will be the time to the final destination waypoint.

I had an intermediate waypoint prior to the destination waypoint. The flight plan consisted of (1) Departure point (2) Enroute point (3) Destination.

The ETAD was showing the estimated time arriving at the enroute waypoint.

I have the ETA field in a data block on my G3X and ETAD on my GTN 750. When I fly an Approach, the ETA always shows time to the next waypoint while the 750 shows time to destination.
Just for grins, try flying an Approach to see if ETA and ETAD display correctly. If they do, your problem may have to do with the way the Enroute waypoint was entered into your flight plan.

I believe it was. Is that what's throwing it off? It's not "smart" enough to calculate to the final waypoint?
I don't know. But my theory is that it figures the first airport is your destination and anything beyond it is an alternate. (Then again, if you have a GTN and your active leg is to an airport but there is a loaded-and-not-activated approach in the flight plan, it seems to calculate flying to the airport, then doing the full approach and coming back to the airport, as your ETAD. They're not entirely consistent between devices.)

I have very limited experience with the GTN thus far. Usually, I just enter a destination and activate Direct.

But giving it more thought, I'm sure that having an airport as an intermediate waypoint is the cause of this behavior. I'll try using an intersection or VOR next time.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have very limited experience with the GTN thus far. Usually, I just enter a destination and activate Direct.

But giving it more thought, I'm sure that having an airport as an intermediate waypoint is the cause of this behavior. I'll try using an intersection or VOR next time.

Thanks for the feedback.
I got my instrument rating and most of my first 500 hours in a plane with a GNS 430W. I always just used Direct To rather than entering a flight plan. I have found that the GTNs such as the 650 Xi in my RV-14 like to have a flight plan entered. It takes just a few more seconds than Direct To but gives a bunch of other features, including entering crossing restrictions and going Direct To another waypoint before returning to a flight plan or going direct to a point on the existing flight plan.

I got my instrument rating and most of my first 500 hours in a plane with a GNS 430W. I always just used Direct To rather than entering a flight plan. I have found that the GTNs such as the 650 Xi in my RV-14 like to have a flight plan entered. It takes just a few more seconds than Direct To but gives a bunch of other features, including entering crossing restrictions and going Direct To another waypoint before returning to a flight plan or going direct to a point on the existing flight plan.
Wouldn't you think DIRECT TO would create the FLIGHT PLAN with one destination? Why is it different?

I have ETAD selected as a data bar field. By definition, this should be the estimated time of arrival at destination.

I'm sure this is some kind of user error on my part. Any ideas what I've configured wrong? Why is ETAD not showing the estimated time of arrival at point (3) while traveling from point (1) to point (2)?

View attachment 61463

Try the same with the active flight plan set to the G3x (source).

I think I saw this before when having the fpl source set to the GTN. I have noticed the very same issue..