ravenstar

Well Known Member
There are days building an RV-12iS when everything seems to be going smoothly and the plans all seem to make sense, and then there are days like today when I wonder if I can even understand simple instructions. I assembled my fuel tank out of order last summer in order to take advantage of the warm weather to work with the Proseal. Then SL-0070 came out and I waited until warm spring weather to work with the sealant and finish installing the inspection port. In between I made some of the fuel line components and finished all the fuselage steps that would allow me to test install the fuel tank as shown on the final page of section 26. It's there that I've begun to doubt my work.

First problem: The fuel tank seems to fit very tightly into the baggage compartment. It looks like the AK-42H rivets are as flush as I thought. The heads are slightly domed and bind on the F-01204J bulkhead flange caps. I'm not sure that's the real problem, though because once I managed to get the tank in place, I still had trouble getting the NAS1149F0332P washers in between the tank and the bulkhead flanges because the fit was so tight. Is this typical of how tight the tank fits? I think it would be a nightmare to remove the tank with the canopy in place with such a tight fit. It's certainly not possible to put it in and remove it without marking up the flange caps as far as I can tell. I fear I may not have countersunk the holes in the T-01225 flanges as much as I should have, which may mean rebuild the fuel tank.

Second problem: This is relatively minor, but there is no mention in the plans of dimpling the screw holes in the F-01229-1 and F-01229A panels but the underlying screw holes are dimpled. I assume this is an oversight? It's more confusing because where these panels are installed in section 38, AN526C832R6 screws are specified, but none were supplied with my kit. It seems like it would make more sense to dimple the holes and use AN507C832R8 screws (of which I have ample numbers) for this panel. I was willing to just go ahead with this plan, but have lost my nerve after seeing how difficult it is to properly place the fuel tank.

I'll mention my third concern, involving the F-12127K fuel line from the shutoff valve to the tank. I carefully measured this line according to the instructions and I think I was very successful in bending it to match the drawings, but it looks like it's very short. I couldn't hook it up to the fuel tank because I had left the pressure testing fittings on the fuel tank when I test installed it thinking the job was going to be easy. But it seems like it is almost a half inch short. I've confirmed that the drawings are to the proper scale, so I didn't mis-measure the bends. I'll recheck and tweak the bends or remake the part when I next install the fuel tank, but it left me wondering in general what the tolerances are on the rigid fuel lines? How much are you able to manipulate the lines for the final installation?

Would someone be willing to share their experiences with these parts?

Thanks!

I can confirm that the fit is VERY tight. I have not done final assembly yet, so I'm not sure what I'll do about that. But if the only issue is not getting that washer in there, I'll skip it.

I can confirm that the fit is VERY tight. I have not done final assembly yet, so I'm not sure what I'll do about that. But if the only issue is not getting that washer in there, I'll skip it.
I managed to get the washers in with a washer wrench I bought to place the washers for the horizontal stabilizer. One side just barely fit, but on the other side it took two of us pulling and pushing the fuel tank and side apart even to start the tool which is thinner than the washer. The tool definitely was worth the money in saved frustration.

Yeah, I have a set of those washer holders. Would not be able to install the rudder and other parts without them.

I'm just not sure what good that washer is doing. If the fit was loose, then it would make sense to keep the tank from moving.

I think I've solved my second problem. After scratching my head for another hour looking at the floor, the plans and my build notes, I don't think the holes really are dimpled. It's an illusion from the paint I've applied. It doesn't explain why there were no AN526C832R6 screws in my kit, but at least I don't have to do any more work than order a few dozen screws. They're used for many of the access panels over the fuselage.

EDIT: And the mystery of the screws is that they're supplied in large quantity with the finish kit.

Last edited:
I'll mention my third concern, involving the F-12127K fuel line from the shutoff valve to the tank. I carefully measured this line according to the instructions and I think I was very successful in bending it to match the drawings, but it looks like it's very short. I couldn't hook it up to the fuel tank because I had left the pressure testing fittings on the fuel tank when I test installed it thinking the job was going to be easy. But it seems like it is almost a half inch short. I've confirmed that the drawings are to the proper scale, so I didn't mis-measure the bends. I'll recheck and tweak the bends or remake the part when I next install the fuel tank, but it left me wondering in general what the tolerances are on the rigid fuel lines? How much are you able to manipulate the lines for the final installation?
To make my public humiliation complete, I test fit this line today and it was indeed almost an inch short. In frustration, I straightened out the tubing and remeasured it. I'm sure you can guess how it turned out: The piece was 24 1/4" instead of 25 1/4" long.

Some days....

To make my public humiliation complete, I test fit this line today and it was indeed almost an inch short. In frustration, I straightened out the tubing and remeasured it. I'm sure you can guess how it turned out: The piece was 24 1/4" instead of 25 1/4" long.

Some days....
I think the kit came with 28 feet of tubing. I used every bit of that and most of an additional 28 feet to finally get it right.

I bought 6' of extra tubing and some fittings to experiment with before doing the actual assembly, but I started with the smallest parts and those went well enough I think I got overconfident. I'm happy to say that the remade pieces cut to the right length fit perfectly. I still have the two longest segments to fabricate, so I'm not out of the woods yet. As to the precision of the bends I was concerned about, at least on the longer sections, if they look like they match the shapes printed in the plans, they seem to fit without any difficulty. I won't know about the smaller pieces until my powerplant kit arrives and I assemble the fuel pumps, but I'm much more optimistic than at the start of the week. Thanks for the encouragement.

My Tank is also a tight fit. It’s great that Van’s offered the SL70 mod for inspection as I’m not looking forward to removing the tank from the finished airplane.
I'm sure a lot of us have had to remake lines because of measurement issues. I did. A line I took from another builder is that “they give you enough tubing to make all the fuel lines but not enough to learn how to make all the lines“.

My Tank is also a tight fit. It’s great that Van’s offered the SL70 mod for inspection as I’m not looking forward to removing the tank from the finished airplane.
Just for clarification…
The RV – 12iS maintenance manual has never prescribed removing the fuel tank during the condition inspection.
The issue was that you had to 100% drain the tank to remove the pick up screen and inspect it.
With the SL 70 modification, draining the tank is no longer necessary as long as you have access to an inspection camera that can be inserted through the hole in the flange on the top of the tank, once the plug is removed.

Scott, the issue being described is for an aircraft with the tank already installed. Unless you have some trick, the tank has to be removed from the aircraft to access all of the screws on the fuel-sender mounting plate for removal. Or doesn’t it?

Scott, the issue being described is for an aircraft with the tank already installed. Unless you have some trick, the tank has to be removed from the aircraft to access all of the screws on the fuel-sender mounting plate for removal. Or doesn’t it?
Maybe I misunderstood the comment…. It sounded to me like he wasn’t wanting to remove the tank and that “with the SL 70 mod, now he won’t have to “

If inspection of the screen using a camera through the inspection port reveals some fine debris on the strainer, will it actually be possible to clean the screen without removing the tank?