burgundyja

Well Known Member
does anyone have any tips on fun stuff to fly to in florida? i will be there in early dec and would like to fly to some diffrent airports also is there any cool sites that are close to airports?

Hi Mike,

Janie and I lived in Tampa for 9 years and tried to check out what aviation had to offer in Fl.

A couple of suggestions:

Cedar Key: 100 miles north of Tampa on the Gulf Coast. Fly around the water tower a couple of times and a taxi will pick you up at the runway. Be carefull landing--it is short (paved) and runs from one end of an island to the other. Go into town (takes you back to the 1940's) and have a wonderful seafood lunch/dinner on the pier. Walk around town and check out the shops.

Ft Walton/Destin: In the Fl panhandle. Some of the most beautiful white sand beaches/aqua water I have ever seen. It is known as the Red Neck Riveria.

Winter Haven/Kissimme: One of the airports there is the home of a major war bird rebuilder and when we were there he had a very nice museum with some of his work on display.

Florida Keys: It was less than a 2 hr flight from our home in Tampa down to Key West or Marathon Key in our Mooney. Interesting day trip---think of Key West as a cross between San Francisco in the late 60's and New Orleans at Madi Gra. Be sure to go through the museum about the Atocha treasure ship--Mel Fischer's maritime museum.

Berns Steak House: If you visit Tampa try to make reservations to eat at Berns Steak House on Howard Blvd. Wonderful steaks and a wine list that is a 1" thick book. Go upstairs to the Dessert Room for the most incredible assortment of exotic desserts you have ever seen.

Just a few ideas off the top!!

Cheers,

db