Prepperpilot

Well Known Member
Hey RV8 friends. Started a few months ago. Have flaps connected to infinity grip. Suddenly flaps would only move halfway. Then a minute or so later. Then they would go down all the way.
After landing. They came up normal. Mmm. From forum tidbits, cleaned brushes on flap motor. Still same. Replaced motor. Worked normal for a while. Suddenly, Now they won't move at all. At least they are all the way up. My guess is the relay for flaps in stick grip.? All other functions on grip work normal.
Anyone have a clue as to where I can get replacement relay??
Thx
Chris

Hey RV8 friends. Started a few months ago. Have flaps connected to infinity grip. Suddenly flaps would only move halfway. Then a minute or so later. Then they would go down all the way.
After landing. They came up normal. Mmm. From forum tidbits, cleaned brushes on flap motor. Still same. Replaced motor. Worked normal for a while. Suddenly, Now they won't move at all. At least they are all the way up. My guess is the relay for flaps in stick grip.? All other functions on grip work normal.
Thx
Chris
Only the switch is in the infinity grip. The relay is elsewhere. You can probably follow the wires from the motor to find the relay. Then you can measure the voltage to the relay coil and contacts to figure out where the problem is. Good luck.

Thx
Chris
Tosten, Aircraft Extras and Ray Allen are three that I know of that have relays. As mentioned, check the wiring first.

Thx
Chris
I have infinity grips and like John G said, there are only switches in the grip. Trace the wires back from the motor. If you don't find a relay, it could be the original wiring was done only with the switches. They aren't built to handle that current all the time. You might end up replacing the switch. Not a fun job but it can be done.

Paul

Might want to make sure the little lock nut on the flap switch on the grip is tight. I have had them loosen up over time. Also, you can try spraying some CRC electronic contact cleaner down into the switch.

Vibration and dirt are enemies!

Thx
Chris
Chris,

Funny you should bring this up because that is exactly what happened to me not long ago with my Infinity stick grip. I was doing some cleaning and vacuuming in the front cockpit and fortunately before the next flight I was trying to move the flaps around to check out how to install a flap position sensor. You guessed it- the flaps started acting being weird intermittently just like you described. Started looking at the relays that are easy to access on the floor near the front stick. I have a snap in relay for the flaps and sure enough it was slightly out of the socket. Snapped it back in and it worked perfectly again.

Chris,

Funny you should bring this up because that is exactly what happened to me not long ago with my Infinity stick grip. I was doing some cleaning and vacuuming in the front cockpit and fortunately before the next flight I was trying to move the flaps around to check out how to install a flap position sensor. You guessed it- the flaps started acting being weird intermittently just like you described. Started looking at the relays that are easy to access on the floor near the front stick. I have a snap in relay for the flaps and sure enough it was slightly out of the socket. Snapped it back in and it worked perfectly again.
Loose relay.... Wow. I can only hope that I have a similar problem as yours. I will check that tomorrow when I get home. Thank you