trib

Well Known Member
I'm planning on flying into DAB Monday. Just tying down and staying a couple of days. Any advice? Looking to avoid FBO services we don't need at charges we don't want to pay!

Go into Spruce Creek! I went to college in DAB and I spent almost all of my free time there.

Awesome place. It's just a few miles south of DAB.

Steve

I just realized you live in VA Beach. I moved from DAB to VA Beach. I lived there for 3 or 4 years before moving.

That'll be a great flight. It'll be pretty hard to get lost!

I would recommend not going to spruce creek unless you are authorized. It is a private airpark and dont allow you to just tie down for a few days. Other options include Ormond beach and new Smyrna beach just not or south of Daytona. All have tie down fees however I'm not sure of the prices.

-david

I work at the Creek! If you want to flyin for lunch at the Downwind or get fuel thats OK. under no circumstances can you just leave your A/C there. The airport manager takes a dim view if that.

Last edited:
We used...

ATP Jet Center a couple years ago. Flew our 6 in there for two days and they treated us well. No extra fees or exorbitant prices IIRC. AirNav has a number of responses for ATP if you're interested.

tim, hows it going? welcome back to florida.

all my trips to daytona bike week i have spent the day with sheltair. no charges for the day, no fuel needed to buy. very happy with them.

have a great time.

ormond beach instead

On the trip to Daytona, my wife and I flew first to Va Tech and stayed the night to visit with my youngest daughter, who's a freshman there (I'm an alumni). On the way to Blacksburg, Roanoke reported that my mode C was not working. I was above their airspace with flight following, so no issue except now I wouldn't be able to land at Daytona Beach since it is class C also. I spent a couple hours rerouting around the class C enroute airspaces, and revised to land at Ormond Beach and shifted the rental car there. Had to switch from my package deal thru Expedia and get a rental from Enterprise. Of course, after all this work, mode C worked just fine the next day.

Best part of the story, Ormond Beach Sunrise Aviation charged me nothing for the 2 day tiedown and Enterprise gave me a compact for $45 a day, $10 a day less than the package I had at DAB, and the compact turned out to be a Cadillac Escalade crossover vehicle with 1005 miles on it! This was by far my longest trip flying and was a blast!:cool:

Consider calling the Class C airport. My recollection is that you "may" be able to get in with an hour or so notice without a transponder. Of course that may be iffy so changing to another airport was a sure thing.