jcbarker

Well Known Member
I need to order my grips. I'm wondering how people are configuring their grips. Specifically where to put the flap switch? This is how I have it configured. Also is the On-Off_Momentary the right switch. Is my assumption that the "On" position fully retracts the flaps?

1713542065171.png

We opted to leave the flaps on the panel. Not too keen about a passenger bumping this switch at a bad time, or a shorted wire causing an uncommanded retraction.

Edit: more info, we went with CS-8 grips. We mapped Trim, AP DISC/CWS, Comm Flip, and PTT to the buttons. Our philosophy was to only map features that we need quickly or multiple times per flight, and that would not cause undue risk if accidentally activated.

Last edited:
I have different grips (but an identical flap switch location) in a couple of our airplanes, and it works great there! It’s only on the pilot’s stick grip, and yes - ON-OFF-MOM does the job.

I went standard RV14 layout because the ACM harness is designed for it. I added one switch and wire for flip/flop. Flap switch is mom-off-mom. Midwest did the laser etch but you have to order the sticks from them because they get a special material.
Haven't flown yet so YMMV.
20220920_170535.jpg

For the pilot side, I have a plain thumb rest on the right, palm shelf of the left, toggle switch (MOM-OFF-MOM) in position 4 (right), PTT at the trigger position, and auto-pilot disconnect on the back below the PTT switch with a low dome switch. The mirror image for the copilot side.

The flap switch on these from Vans, that I went with, are Mom, Off, Mom. I thought it was good value and they come pre wired for the WH-00125. Shoutout to Kevin at Tosten. I had some wiring questions and he was very helpful and even offered to do a rewire. I decided against it and just kept them as they were. I had the same concern about the flap switch on the passenger side. Both sticks are fully functional plus a panel mount flap switch. My plan is to disable one or both sticks if I feel the need, once I start flyin.
IMG_0220.jpeg

Last edited:
CS8 grips. Flaps on the panel. Push to talk, auto pilot disconnect, and trim on the grips. I think I will disable the trim switch on my copilot stick, or put a switch in that allows me to disable it.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I had an email exchange with Kevin. He concurred with Paul and Larry. He said to order them through Midwest as Larry indicated for the engraving. A follow on question: Do these grips work with the stock sticks? I have gotten confused with the back and forth on that.

For those using the CS-8, what are you using the trigger and index button for? I had thou to get the CS-6, and use the trigger for PTT, and index for CWS. Still batting around different ideas.

The Tosten MS grips came with an insert that secured the grip to the stick. You insert the adapter into your grip. I had to cut off about 2” on both the pilot and CP sticks to accommodate the new grips. As for the flap switch, mine is MOM-OFF-MOM. I only have the flap switch on the pilot’s grip. The CP grip has a radio swap switch (MOM - activate ground) where the flap switch is on the pilot’s grip.

Because of the way my panel flap switch is wired I couldn’t use the “ground to activate“ concept and had to have that switch wired by Kevin accordingly (an extra wire for power). I kept my flap toggle switch on the panel for those rare times when the person sitting in the CP seat is flying the airplane.

When doing T&G‘s I normally extend flaps using the pilot’s toggle switch and retract flaps on the runway with the panel toggle switch. However I also do them using the pilot’s toggle switch- I just have to hold the switch up until the flaps are retracted. Some people might see this as a negative but I don’t. Whether the retract is accomplished by the panel switch (ON - up) or a toggle switch with (ON - MOM) a switch still has to be reset to neutral. With the pilot’s toggle switch being momentary both ways I have a choice. It works for me.

I do wish I’d had the option when I ordered the grips of having them engraved for the switch’s function but when I installed them five years ago that wasn’t possible. I now use clear labels from my label maker and have to redo them every couple years because they lose their “sticky.”

I put a co-pilot enable switch in the panel to turn the switches on the passenger side stick on/off, depending on who is sitting there. Just a disconnect of the ground. Works well.