MacCool

Well Known Member
Quick question on aviation maintenance cleanup solvents...any mechanical or corrosion concerns using chlorinated solvents like Brakleen (tri- or tetrachloroethylene) as a degreaser in aircraft maintenance?

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 4.48.13 PM copy.png

The MSDS states it is not compatible with Aluminum. Not sure why, but I suspect it will etch the surface.

I avoid the harsher cleaners for the airplane. No scientific reason, but there is nothing that can’t be satisfactorily cleaned with a mild solvent, rags, brush, and a little elbow grease.

Mineral spirits, Stoddard solvent (similar), Coleman lantern fluid (naptha), are pretty common solvents that I do use. Dawn Dish Soap is also a surprisingly good cleaner.
If I am near any painted surfaces, it’s Dawn all the way.

I do use CRC Brake Clean on some of my vehicle brakes. It’s easy, agressive, and doesn’t leave anything behind.

Quick question on aviation maintenance cleanup solvents...any mechanical or corrosion concerns using chlorinated solvents like Brakleen (tri- or tetrachloroethylene) as a degreaser in aircraft maintenance?

View attachment 61679
I used it recently to degrease new rotors on my 9A. Works great. Evaporates quick. I would be careful around painted parts and I would not use on aluminum. Try not to breathe too much of it.

Last edited:
It’s the CFC that must be avoided. Use the chlorinated sparingly, as they are useful. UAL used to mop floors with this up until the early ‘90s, which came to an end after I gave them a white paper on it. Simple green, Dawn works well with a good water flush.

The chlorinated solvents can cause damage to stainless steel.

Had an issue in the past where chlorinated brake cleaners were used cleaning hydraulic fliud, 5606. Not long after we started having hose failures. It turns out the cleaners were causing surface cracked in the stainless braid of the hoses and when the hose was moved while changing the hydraulic pump the braids were fracturing and peircimg the inner liner.

I have used the non chlorinated brake cleaner and have had good luck with it, but I use it sparingly and treat with ACF 50 after.

AS a testament as to the use of Non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
I just bought an Amazon case of 36 cans for use. Love the stuff for cleaning air cleaners, fuel filters oil, you name it.
At $3.02 per can it its bargain not often found these days.
Installed a new motor this last week and had a couple minor oil leaks and made a mess of things. Used some yesterday and it works great. NO more leaks or oily back side.
Only used a quarter of the can. Problem cleaned up fast.
Ya some people think the aerosol cans are to expensive, But, they are fast and convenient.
My luck varies FIXIT

I appreciate the help. I use a variety of solvents including the CRC green, and Stoddard via a Sure Shot sprayer. All have their uses but for degreasing and oil cleanup I vastly prefer the chlorinated solvents, finding the red Brakleen particularly more effective for some tasks. I wasn't aware of the potential reaction with some stainless steel alloys, so thanks for the helpful input.

Last edited: