g zero

Well Known Member
I’ve been flying out of my home airport for 9 years and flying this area for 15 years . Every Pilot knows of the 1250 foot tower just NW of the Airport ….including me .
Back in January I was descending on auto pilot to my home field from a 1000 mile trip … I normally don’t fly at night but it was close to dark ….
I get a big Obstacle warning on the Garmin .. I pull up at to the right and just miss the tower …. No lights on it !!!
I ask the controller at KFIN about Notams …. He said he thinks it’s on the Daytona Notam …. 30 miles south.
Next day I find out the tower hasn't been lit for over 5 years !!!
I’ve emailed AOPA a few times . This past Saturday I spoke with a nice lady at the AOPA tent ….. I could tell from our conversation that she got stuff done pronto !!!!
I received an email today … A Notam was posted for KFIN about the unlit tower on Sunday and the Tower Owner has 120 day to comply with lighting the tower .
Gladly send my $89 a year for service that they can provide…….if you can talk to the right person. .

Attachments

• IMG_4116.png
    IMG_4116.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 51
I’ve been flying out of my home airport for 9 years and flying this area for 15 years . Every Pilot knows of the 1250 foot tower just NW of the Airport ….including me .
Back in January I was descending on auto pilot to my home field from a 1000 mile trip … I normally don’t fly at night but it was close to dark ….
I get a big Obstacle warning on the Garmin .. I pull up at to the right and just miss the tower …. No lights on it !!!
I ask the controller at KFIN about Notams …. He said he thinks it’s on the Daytona Notam …. 30 miles south.
Next day I find out the tower hasn't been lit for over 5 years !!!
I’ve emailed AOPA a few times . This past Saturday I spoke with a nice lady at the AOPA tent ….. I could tell from our conversation that she got stuff done pronto !!!!
I received an email today … A Notam was posted for KFIN about the unlit tower on Sunday and the Tower Owner has 120 day to comply with lighting the tower .
Gladly send my $89 a year for service that they can provide…….if you can talk to the right person. .
Well done