BH1166

Well Known Member
I have an increase in oil out the breather system, no AntiSplat recovery system, just the standard setup.. Film only on the belly, getting more drops out of breather exit tube at shutdown. Oil consumption up some (1Qt 7-hours vs previously 10 hours) . 1531 TT O320, FP. Im aware of the flush, but seems to me its not oil control rings but compression rings, but I only know/repeat what I read. Anyone with experience using Seafoam in oil, 1oz per quart of normal volume (me 6qts is full, add a qt when at 5)?

Thanks

@gossend just made a presentation to the local EAA chapter (EAA187) on this, and related topics. Apparently Seafoam is a magic elixer capable of curing stuck rings, excessive blow-by, etc.etc. and maybe ED. :)

More here -- https://www.eaa187.org/ (requires login...)

I have an increase in oil out the breather system, no AntiSplat recovery system, just the standard setup.. Film only on the belly, getting more drops out of breather exit tube at shutdown. Oil consumption up some (1Qt 7-hours vs previously 10 hours) . 1531 TT O320, FP. Im aware of the flush, but seems to me its not oil control rings but compression rings, but I only know/repeat what I read. Anyone with experience using Seafoam in oil, 1oz per quart of normal volume (me 6qts is full, add a qt when at 5)?

Thanks
How long have you been operating this engine?
Is this a new situation?
What is the differential cylinder compressions of the engine?
Aircraft engines will find their own oil level based on installation and plumbing.
. * sometimes when we service crankcase to full, that 'top up' quantity blows right out the breather within the first hour, find her happy point...
Have you changed your crankcase breather in anyway recently?
Does your breather have a "whistle slot" (breaks the slipstream from creating low pressure within)?
How about how the breather tube exits the cowling into the slipstream? (pictures)

Good job noticing a change in circumstances with the operation of your machine.

Thanks
oil out of the breather is a blowby problem nad not related to oil control rings. That said, One possible issue causing the increased blowby is stuck compression rings, though not overly high on the list. While the flush is most helpful in unsticking oil rings, that is not to say that it cannot possibly help your blowby issue. Just not as likely as stuck oil rings that burn the oil vs blowing it out the breather. While there is a chance that a flush may help, simply adding seafoam to the oil is not likely to do anything in your case.

The fact that you now hear air sounds from the breather when testing on #3 mostly points to a cracked compression ring in #3. A cracked ring markedly increases blowby which in turn increases oil consumption rate. Technically oil loss, but most would call it consumption

Larry

Last edited:
How long have you been operating this engine?
Is this a new situation?
What is the differential cylinder compressions of the engine?
Aircraft engines will find their own oil level based on installation and plumbing.
. * sometimes when we service crankcase to full, that 'top up' quantity blows right out the breather within the first hour, find her happy point...
Have you changed your crankcase breather in anyway recently?
Does your breather have a "whistle slot" (breaks the slipstream from creating low pressure within)?
How about how the breather tube exits the cowling into the slipstream? (pictures)

Good job noticing a change in circumstances with the operation of your machine.

Engine is 1992 new, 733 hrs first 25 years, Ive put 805 hrs on it most recent 6 years

2018 1 qt per 12hrs, change at 30ish hours, this increase has been “noticeable“ recent 18-24 months

😀 Cold 79/80 x3 …..#3 74/80 …….( stop laughing about #3…Im proactive)

Happy oil level 6 recent 6 years

No

Angle at tip, hangs above exhaust (R) just at bottom cowl exit (same past 6 yrs)

Engine is 1992 new, 733 hrs first 25 years, Ive put 805 hrs on it most recent 6 years

2018 1 qt per 12hrs, change at 30ish hours, this increase has been “noticeable“ recent 18-24 months

😀 Cold 79/80 x3 …..#3 74/80 …….( stop laughing about #3…Im proactive)

Happy oil level 6 recent 6 years

No

Angle at tip, hangs above exhaust (R) just at bottom cowl exit (same past 6 yrs)
I watched that EAA presentation in post #5. I'd not heard of the Lycoming procedure before but regularly do something similar on my Yamaha marine engines and it sure does boost the performance.
I would certainly try that on next oil change as filling the #3 cylinder with solvent, installing the spark plug and then forcing the hydraulic fluid past the rings to dissolve the crud and free stuck rings doesn't sound like it is going to make anything worse... Worth a try.
*You'll want to replace the oil after (or drain the oil into a clean container like a pail with a new can liner for reuse)(if done right, you can even leave the filter mounted) because the solvent (mineral spirits /xylene) will need to be drained from the crankcase...

oil out of the breather is a blowby problem nad not related to oil control rings. That said, One possible issue causing the increased blowby is stuck compression rings, though not overly high on the list. While the flush is most helpful in unsticking oil rings, that is not to say that it cannot possibly help your blowby issue. Just not as likely as stuck oil rings that burn the oil vs blowing it out the breather. While there is a chance that a flush may help, simply adding seafoam to the oil is not likely to do anything in your case.

The fact that you now hear air sounds from the breather when testing on #3 mostly points to a cracked compression ring in #3. A cracked ring markedly increases blowby which in turn increases oil consumption rate. Technically oil loss, but most would call it consumption

Larry
Thanks Larry. In a search here for “Seafoam”, I found some of your comments on the subject . Im thrifty when expending energy aka a little lazy, going to give the Seafoam a go first for 10 hours or so, then recheck compression. Im betting you are correct. Maybe, try again for 30 hour, fresh oil filter change, maybe once with top off oil at 7 hours in. No better ( hope you’re wrong now lol) , I’ll do the flush on #3.

4-17-24….. added 1qt of oil , back up to 6. Added 6oz of Seafoam. 1541.5 on the Tach. Will change oil in 10 hours. With a wishful mind, I’ll check compression on #3. 🤞🏻