What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Mid-Atlantic Gathering of RV's - July 13th

bullojm1

Well Known Member
EAA Chapter 1384 is sponsoring the First Mid-Atlantic Gathering of RV's at the Carroll County Regional Airport (KDMW - Westminster, MD) on Saturday, July 13th (Rain Date - Sunday, July 14th). The event will start at 10am and go until 3pm.

Food and Drinks will be available, along with lots of prizes and FUN FOR EVERYONE!

Chip Lock will be present with his RV-12 and demo rides will be available.

We will take an official picture of all airplane in attendance at 1330 hours. We are expecting 50-100+ RV's!.

Gathering_1.jpg

Gathering_2.jpg

Updated Information can be found at our Chapters Website.

Link to the Flyer here.

We hope to see a bunch of VAF'ers in attendance!

Last edited:
Its on the calendar.
It would be really nice come back to the old stomping grounds to see Stone, Savage, Sandman and others again.

Mike, how much did Jack have to pay to have his past and present RV's pictured on the flyer?

I should be able to make it along with a few others from Dragon Flight. What time do the festivities begin?

Last edited:
Mike, how much did Jack have to pay to have his past and present RV's pictured on the flyer?

I should be able to make it along with a few others from Dragon Flight. What time do the festivities begin?

Mike,

You can tell who designed the flyer! Our EAA chapter will be ready at 10:00am for people to start arriving. At 1:30pm we are going to take a picture of the group of RV's in attendance.

Transient advice?

I've avoided flying anywhere near DC. Putting my license (and more) at risk is intimidating.

Question for the local pllots: If I can make the event, what should I know in addition to the on-line class? What really happens as you approach KDMW from the WSW?

Thanks!

Carl

I've avoided flying anywhere near DC. Putting my license (and more) at risk is intimidating.

Question for the local pllots: If I can make the event, what should I know in addition to the on-line class? What really happens as you approach KDMW from the WSW?

Thanks!

Carl

Wow, you might get the distance award (if that exists) :D
Take the class as you mentioned.
If you are VFR:
Make sure your Mode C is working because you will be close or even inside the mode C ring depending on your flight path.
The area west of DC around the LINDEN (LDN) VOR has a lot of east-west bound commercial traffic so keep your ears and eyes open.
There is a "slot" between the DC FRZ and P-40 (Camp David) that goes right over Frederick Maryland. Make sure FSS tells you whether P-40 is "hot" or expanded to its larger size shown on the chart. If it is, the slot gets narrow.

Carl,

Flying into KDMW or anywhere nearby isn't any different from flying anywhere else in the country. A couple of things to be aware of:

1) If you fly within 60 miles of the DCA VORTAC, you are required to take the " ALC-55 Washington DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA)" online course at https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_catalog.aspx (Under Wings Courses).

2) Camp David is due west of KDMW. You cannot fly through the inner ring of P-40. The outer ring, R-4009 is activated by NOTAM typically when the president is at Camp David. Typically this area is not activated.

3) When I fly west, I typically fly directly over KFDK. They recently opened up a control tower (Class D, ceiling 2,800').

If any of this looks/sounds intimidating, you can always just cut around top of R-4009. At RV speeds, it shouldn't add much extra time.

Here is a drawn up section which should make everything clear

Wow - We didn't expect to draw people from as far as Texas! It would be awesome if you can make it!

Last edited:
Just to clarify Mike's post: You can fly without talking to anyone in the outer ring of P40 UNLESS it is activated by Notam when the boss is there. He rarely goes to Camp David so chances are this will not be an issue. Be sure to check the Notams first though.

There is no reason you should need to fly through the SFRA unless you are coming up from the South. Just go around plus it keeps you at higher altitudes over the mountains on the West.

I realize that people are intimidated by the DC SFRA but really folks, if you can fly an airplane you can figure this out. There is nothing to be nervous about. ATC and the FOD's (Forces of Darkness) don't care a darn thing about you if you are not going into it. I do acro and formation flight in the SFRA with no problems. The positive thing is that you get traffic reports as some areas inside are pretty dense with airplanes.

DMW is well North of the SFRA but you will be inside the 60nm ring that requires you to take the course. It only takes a few minutes and it is informative plus will put your mind at ease.

So guys, no excuses on the SFRA being a deterrent to going. Put your big boy pants on and I'll see you there. The DMW RVers are all great guys and will be excellent hosts.

I'll echo what Capflyer said and just add that its very easy to stay out of the SFRA, P-40 and Class B airspace. If you have an up-to-date database in your GPS, you just stay outside of the circles, or under, in the case of Class B. If you are coming from the west, you can get a transition through Frederick's Class D or just go over it. You don't really have to talk with anyone.

Way to go, EAA Chapter 1384! See you at the RV Fly-in.

Thanks!

I appreciate the responses and advice regarding SFRA and proximity operations.

If planet's align I hope to attend. It's way too early to decide which pants to wear.

Carl

Last edited:
I realize that people are intimidated by the DC SFRA but really folks, if you can fly an airplane you can figure this out. There is nothing to be nervous about. ATC and the FOD's (Forces of Darkness) don't care a darn thing about you if you are not going into it. I do acro and formation flight in the SFRA with no problems. The positive thing is that you get traffic reports as some areas inside are pretty dense with airplanes.

DMW is well North of the SFRA but you will be inside the 60nm ring that requires you to take the course. It only takes a few minutes and it is informative plus will put your mind at ease.

So guys, no excuses on the SFRA being a deterrent to going. Put your big boy pants on and I'll see you there. The DMW RVers are all great guys and will be excellent hosts.

Well said. The 60nm ring is nothing more than a mode C veil. There is absolutely nothing special about flying there. The SFRA is nothing more than a mode C veil where you have to verify that ATC sees you first. It's less complicated than flying to a towered airport. The FRZ (the very inner ring) is nothing more than a mode C veil where ATC wants to see you and you can only fly to three places. It's less complicated than flying class B airspace.

I learned to fly from inside the SFRA (W00) and I watch teenage pilots do solo cross country flights in and out of the SFRA every weekend. If it was SO terribly complicated and dangerous, do you think they'd let student pilots fly around in here??

Let's stop spreading the horror stories of risking your pilot's license and more by flying within 30nm of the capitol. You're MUCH more likely to be grounded by black helicopters by flying VFR out of California from West to East :eek:

Perspective

Please permit a bit of Thread Drift, my view of flying near POTUS. When AF1 comes to our area Foreflight posts Yellow, then Red circles/shapes. The multiple pages of text describe restrictions that reach out to flight training, model airplanes and glider ops, and consequences of mistakes up to the use of deadly force.

So the consequences of a mistake near POTUS sound serious. Serious enough to respect and understand the SFRA and vicinity like a red and purple blob on weather radar. Worthy of a question to the locals.

I missed any post spreading horror stories, but I've collected new data how some pilots demonstrate hospitality.

Carl

11 short days until the First Mid-Atlantic Gathering of RV's. Hope to see a lot of you there!

Any Camping?

Is there any consideration for camping Friday or Saturday night on field? I will be driving in, it's just far enough away I'll camp Friday night or get a room so I don't miss any of the action Saturday.
Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't believe there is camping allowed on the field, but it wouldn't hurt to call SkyTech to double check.

If not, there is a nice inexpensive hotel right around the corner from KDMW in Westminster, MD - The Boston Inn (http://www.thebostoninn.com/). $65/night + taxes according to their website. I've never stayed there, but the 4 reviews on Google all indicate it is "Excellent".

Oh, and also....

4 MORE DAYS Until the First Mid-Atlantic Gathering of RV's!!!!

We are looking forward to the fly-in, count on a flight of 10 - 12 from KPTW, N47, KOQN, & 58M

3 Days and counting

Thanks Mike, Hotel it is!

Weather is looking GOOD: Sunny, less than 10% chance of rain ,86f, winds 6mph east

3 Days and counting," Let the good times roll !"

Bob:)

Last edited:
Going to the airport tonight to top off the tanks and get everything set for an early SAT AM departure from KAVL.

Looking forward to seeing old friends, ummmm, friends I haven't seen in a while ....:)

The weather looks great for Saturday... lets keep our fingers crossed that it stays that way! I'm super excited to meet many of you for the first time.

Any last minute updates will be posted on our website http://www.eaa1384.org

See you all Saturday! :)

Fuel Price

According to Airnav, it is currently $5.81 for self serve fuel. I think I paid around $5.79 a couple of weeks ago, so that price sounds right.

Hope to be there tomorrow for at least a couple of hours.

Fernando

$5.81 is the current price for self serve, but we are expecting that self serve maybe difficult given the number of people. Skytech will be filling up on the line with the truck but we haven't gotten them down to the self serve price. I'll get the exact price this afternoon.

Ah, makes sense. Good luck with the negotiations for a lower fuel price. Hope to meet you tomorrow. I now fly an RV-6, but have always wanted to build an 8 . . . only finished the empennage, however.

Fernando

Ok, I got the fuel prices. We were able to get a concession from Skytech for the truck fuel, and the result is only 10 cents above self serve. Self serve will be available, but it might be very difficult to use depending on the number of people who show.

• Self Serve: $5.81
  • Full Service via the Fuel Truck: $5.91

I'm really hoping the weather cooperates. :)

I saw that a few people are driving in for the gathering. If there is anyone coming down tonight, send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info in case the weather goes south...

Peter,

I'll be making a go no-go decision about 7:00 am. Over the last two days the forecast has deteriorated quite a bit (from 20% chance of t-storms to 50 or 70% now depending on the weather source)...but Sunday's looking pretty darn good. Any thoughts on when/if you'll call the rain date?

I'm out today.
I'm not slogging 2.5 hrs IFR this AM (and dancing with embedded storms on the way home). If it moves to Sunday, we will try.

I blame our delayed weather update on the huge patch of blue sky taunting us at the field... It disappeared though. :(

Sorry for the delays and hope to see you tomorrow.

Good call

Overcast
70?F
21?C
Humidity100%
Wind Speed Calm
Barometer30.14 in
Dewpoint70?F (21?C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Last Update on 13 Jul 7:40 am EDT
Current conditions at
Carroll County Regional Airport/Jack B Poage Field (KDMW)
Lat: 39.36 Lon: -77 Elev: 789ft.

A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after noon. Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Sunday Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 87. South wind 5 to 8 mph.
Too many unknown's for the guys coming up from the south today as to what the afternoon will bring. The food will keep 24hours Sunday looks like a better choice.
Fly Safe, Be seen, work the radio.There will be Traffic:)

For all the reasons rzbill pointed out, good call for those of us south of you.

Back