What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AirVenture Cup Race 2013

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
The GREAT RACE called the AirVenture Cup Race is going to be run again this year but from a new location, Mount Vernon, Illinois I believe. For the second year they are going to include classes I'm familiar with in SARL cross country air racing. In the healing EAA there is support once again for the event. They say this is the 16th annual AVC race but I have only flown in it since 2005. It is a happening as they used to say. It is basic but it has style and class as well for those who participate. The website is starting to update as planning, and arrangements fall into place. www.airventurecuprace.org.

Bob Axsom
Race 71

Registrations just opened (5-29-13)

Copied from the www.airventurecuprace.com website. Note that a weekly AirVenture admission wristband is included. Also it is traditional to have a group arrival window at Oskosh and special parking for the racers.

Bob Axsom

Designed by Airventure Cup Race © 2013 using Homestead website templates. Create a website today.
Race Participant Information and Entry Forms
Entry forms for the 2013 Race are now available. Entry fees are as follows:

Registration prior to June 15, 2013

$260 for SARL members
$270 for non-SARL members

Registration after June 15, 2013

$280 for SARL members
$290 for non-SARL members

​ALL REGISTRATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN JULY 1, 2013.

*Note: Registration fee applies to each aircraft being entered in the race. Entry fee checks should be made out to "Air Venture Cup Race". Race participants who registrer after July 1 will not be included in the official race program.
Race Rules
FAQs

Questions? Please Contact Us.
Your Entry Fee Includes:

Breakfast, lunch and dinner for you and your copilot/crew-member on Saturday during the pre-race "airport Open House". We have the pit area open to the public and those that want to take part can give Young Eagle Rides. After the event at the airport we go to the pre-race dinner where we also hold the first of two race briefings.

The race provides all the transportation to/from the hotel, airport, hardware store etc. so you won't need to get a rental car in South Dakota.

On Sunday morning we do a follow up briefing and provide breakfast.

We provide all printed materials, briefing packets, etc. we also print the souvenir programs which you will receive a couple copies of when you check in, and they are also available to the public especially the kids for autographs etc.

Both you and your Co-pilot/Crew-member will get a race T-shirt and name tag.

Once we get to Oshkosh we have an awards ceremony and obviously provide trophies for 1st-3rd place in each category. Once the awards are finished we have a post race party (we like to party and eat) where we provide the beverages, (beer and soda)

The entry fee includes one weekly wristband, if you need additional wristbands they are available for purchase

Last edited:
Please, get even a partial registration in and be counted

I received the message below tonight from AirVenture Cup Race Management The imbedded links will not work from this post I'm sure so you will have to go to the race website www.airventurecuprace.com to work out the details. This race is very special to me personally and if you are interested and you would like help all you have to do is ask and I will make sure you get what you need to make it possible.

Bob Axsom

It's race time! The EAA AirVenture Cup is right around the corner and we are looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

TIME IS RUNNING OUT - YOU MUST ACT NOW IF YOU WANT TO RACE

The reason for our email is to advise you of a couple changes this year:

1) The application deadline is July 1st.
Our apologies for the early deadline, but EAA has stipulated this change for 2013. Even if you can't complete the entire application, we ask that you fill it out as much as possible and get it into us by the July 1 deadline. This will indicate your interest in the race and we will work with you to get the remaining items completed in time. The LAST thing we want to do is turn people away because they submitted their application too late. Please note our goal for next year is to drastically overhaul and simplify the application and insurance requirements - but for this year we are stuck with it. APPLY HERE

2) Action is required on your part to obtain insurance.
Whether or not you are aware of it, AirVenture Cup staff has worked with your insurance carrier in past years to fine-tune the insurance verbiage to meet EAA's requirements. Additionally, your carrier has typically run on "auto-pilot" to add race coverage around this time of year if you have raced for several years. Unfortunately, the change to SARL last year (to accommodate the race after our snafu with EAA), has complicated things for this year and the "auto pilot" has been switched off. Furthermore, many insurance carriers are not as willing to work with AirVenture Cup staff to correct the coverage without your specific approval. This means you must contact your insurance carrier.

Dick Keyt is your main point of contact on our staff to help you through this process. He can be reached at [email protected]. Additionally, please use our SAMPLE INSURANCE CERTIFICATE when you contact your insurance carrier - this is imperative!

Now... let the fun begin!

Here's what we have in store for you this year:

- Cool prizes from Jeppesen, Hooker Harnesses and Vertical Power
- New course this year! Click here to see it
- Airport open house on Saturday before the race at Mount Vernon, IL
- Race dinner Saturday night before the race
- Lunch at the finish line (Waupaca, WI) hosted by the Cessna Flyers and Piper Flyers Associations

To learn more, visit the AirVenture Cup website here.
OUR EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION HAS BEEN EXTENDED!
Register by July 1 and save $20 on your registration fee.

Last edited:
More Information on the AVC 2013 race

To get access to all the live links and especially the course information go to the home website for the race www.airventurecuprace.com and on the home page you will see a link "Registered Racers". Click on that and it will take you to the new information on the race course motels, etc.

I drew the course on two old WAC charts I have (CH-18 and CG-20) but it is so large that I would have to make several sequential scans and probably multiple posts to paste them in here. They would have very little added value since you can see the same thing at the AVC website. The course has three legs but in reality there are essentially two straight lines one 356 nautical miles north followed by one 35 nm long to the east. Like an inverted capital "L". They are going to allow "NO PENALTY" fuel stops for those that need them at Dixon, IL (C73) and Wisconsin Rapids, WI (Alexander - KISW).

Below is course information copied from the website. This is all I can do for the moment - I'm going to bed.

Bob Axsom

The 2013 race course starts in Mount Vernon, IL (KMVN) direct to the 1st turn point at Dixon, IL (C73) direct to the 2nd turn point at Wisconsin Rapids, WI (KISW), then direct to the finish line at Waupaca, WI (KPCZ)

Click here to view a Skyvector map of the 400nm race course.

There will be timing crews on hand to allow no penalty pit stops at Dixon, IL (C73) and Wisconsin Rapids, WI (KISW).

Once you cross the finish line at KPCZ you have several options. 1) you can continue into OSH via the FISK arrival or 2) you can land and refuel, get lunch hosted by the Cessna Flyer and Piper Flyer Associations. If you opt to land at KPCZ, you can either wait for the mass arrival or continue on your own to OSH via FISK arrival. As a 3rd option, you can finish, refuel, and head home (if you do this, please let us know so we don't start a search and rescue mission on you.)

Last edited:
The Schedule is up at www.airventurecup.com

Designed by Airventure Cup Race © 2013 using Homestead website templates. Create a website today.
Race Schedule
Note: All times are Central Daylight Time (CDT)

Thursday, July 25, 2013
Race staff travels to MVN (most coming from OSH)
Set-up for weekend events

Friday, July 26, 2013 - Media Day at Mt. Vernon Airport
4:00 p.m. Press conference and media flight(s)
- We usually get a fairly good turn-out of media: TV, radio, and print at Media Day. Since we are busy flying Young Eagles all day Saturday, this time is set aside to get members of the press up in some of the race airplanes.
Set-up for Young Eagles Day
Evening: Friday night is a social event at Genkota Winery
- This is a cash bar social event/dinner. We have the patio reserves and it is a lot of fun. See Genkota Winery's website.​

Saturday, July 27, 2013 - Airport Open House
8:30 AM - Event staff set-up
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM - Open House
- Race Pit Area Open to the Public
- Young Eagle Flights
- Static Display of Aircraft
- Breakfast and Lunch Served by a local restaurant
6:00 Pre-Race Briefing and Dinner

(Note: Last year in Mitchell, SD we had close to 2,500 people attend and gave 250 Young Eagles rides. This is a free admission event and we have always gotten a very good turnout.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 - RACE DAY!
7:30 AM - Pilots Breakfast (coffee, donuts, etc.)
8:00 AM - Race Briefing
- 2nd briefing, mainly weather and course review
9:20 AM - Engine Start
9:30 AM - Race Begins
12:00 PM - Starting line closes
- Race staff handles any final logistics and departs for Waupaca in chase planes.
5:00 PM - Finish line closes
- Race staff sets up for Awards Presentation
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM - Awards Presentation / Winners Announced
- Racers and Race Staff transported by bus to the banquet (informal) at Wendts Marina for the Awards Presentation and Beer Redemption Racer Dinner.
​9:30 PM - Bus returns to OSH

Monday, July 29, 2013 - Sunday, Aug 4, 2013
​Flight Line Race Tent - Serves as a focal point for the race participants and also as a chance to promote the future of cross country air racing

55 entries so far

I think you can still get in (maybe) but you will not be in the program. It is going to be a grand event. People may say the number of entries is unimportant but they would be wrong! 55 planes with some incredibly fast exotic spice lifts everybody to a higher plane.

Bob Axsom

Latest Message from the Race Director

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the mass emailing but I am swamped at work and trying to get as much
done at one time as possible. I guess I will have to wait until I get to Mt
Vernon to take some time and talk to all of you personally.

I wanted to provide an update to help answer as many questions as we can and
also to provide you with the latest updates on the race.

First many of you have been asking for a list of names. We will be publishing an
"official" list soon, in the meantime to hold you all over, here is who is
registered to Race this year. I just don't have time right now to make it
"pretty"

Last Name First Name

Adams David
Andersen John
Applebaum Steve
Axsom Robert
Barnes Jeff
Behel Lee
Behel Jay
Bennett Bob
Benzing Vicky
Bourgeois Brent
Bracken Charles
Carroll Alan
Cianci Jim
Coraggio Joe
Crawford Tony
Crawford Alan
Dugas Rene
Estu Mike
Hammer Bruce
Hammer Steve
Hinckley Harry
Hoagland Carri
Hogan Bernie
Hogan Colin
Hoskins Sam
Huff Jim
James Robert
Johnson Leif
Keich John
Keyt Richard
Kinder Larry
Lamb Rich
Lange Jeff
Ledda Eugene
Logan Robert
Mahar Mike
Mallia Jeff
Manvel Harry
Martin Curtis
Moore Tom
Newton Neil
Payne Craig
Peck Jerry
Phelps Kevin
Phillips Keith
Punzi Henry
Quinn Mark
Redmon James
Ross Jon
Savier Klaus
Schulze Craig
Shoup Douglas
Stone Jim
Walljasper Keith
Wilson John

Next people have been asking about the schedule of events for the weekend.

Race Schedule
Note: All times are Central Daylight Time (CDT)

Thursday, July 25, 2013
Race staff travels to MVN (most coming from OSH)
Set-up for weekend events

Friday, July 26, 2013 - Media Day at Mt. Vernon Airport
4:00 p.m. Press conference and media flight(s)
- We usually get a fairly good turn-out of media: TV, radio, and print at Media
Day. Since we are busy flying Young Eagles all day Saturday, this time is set
aside to get members of the press up in some of the race airplanes.
Set-up for Young Eagles Day
Evening: Friday night is a social event at Genkota Winery
- This is a cash bar social event/dinner. We have the patio reserves and it is
a lot of fun. See Genkota Winery's website.​

Saturday, July 27, 2013 - Airport Open House
8:30 AM - Event staff set-up
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM - Open House
9:30 AM Pilot Briefing for Mt Vernon 100 SARL Race at KMVN
10:30 AM Mt Vernon 100 SARL Race Begins. (EAA Young Eagle Operations will be
suspended during the MV100)
- Race Pit Area Open to the Public
- Young Eagle Flights
- Static Display of Aircraft
- Breakfast and Lunch Served by a local restaurant
6:00 Pre-Race Briefing and Dinner

(Note: Last year in Mitchell, SD we had close to 2,500 people attend and gave
250 Young Eagles rides. This is a free admission event and we have always
gotten a very good turnout.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 - RACE DAY!
7:30 AM - Pilots Breakfast (coffee, donuts, etc.)
8:00 AM - Race Briefing
- 2nd briefing, mainly weather and course review
9:20 AM - Engine Start
9:30 AM - Race Begins
12:00 PM - Starting line closes
- Race staff handles any final logistics and departs for Waupaca in chase
planes.
5:00 PM - Finish line closes
- Race staff sets up for Awards Presentation
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM - Awards Presentation / Winners Announced
- Racers and Race Staff transported by bus to the banquet (informal) at Wendts
Marina for the Awards Presentation and Beer Redemption Racer Dinner.
​9:30 PM - Bus returns to OSH

Monday, July 29, 2013 - Sunday, Aug 4, 2013
​Flight Line Race Tent - Serves as a focal point for the race participants and
also as a chance to promote the future of cross country air racing.

As you might have noticed if you actually read the entire schedule we have a new
event this year. Sam Hoskins has put together a SARL Race on Saturday, this will
be a 110 Mile Sprint around Central IL. It should be fun. It is open to
everyone, although you have to join SARL. This is completely separate from the
AirVenture Cup, so participation is not required. If you do participate in the
MV100 you will have the opportunity to win SARL points so those of you in the
running for the National Points Championship might want to take advantage of
this opportunity. More information on the MV100 can be found on their website -
http://sportairrace.org/sarl/node/384

For those of you on Facebook, we have a Facebook page for the AirVenture Cup
Race - https://www.facebook.com/groups/55480465578/

I encourage you to join or like or whatever it is you do to get on the AVC
Facebook page as we update it frequently with the latest information.

If you have questions please contact me. I am flying like crazy so email is the
best way to reach me. [email protected]

Looking forward to seeing you all in MVN on the 26th or 27th.

Eric Whyte
Chairman, 2013 EAA AirVenture Cup Race

Hard stop on 2013 AVC entries

Those of you that know Eric Whyte know he is the pilot's friend and over all the years of the Air Venture Cup Race he has gone to extremes to help accommodate pilots with schedule constraints or family obligations, etc. get in the race regardless or the extra workload it puts on him. Well, not this year the EAA is insisting that the July first entry deadline be maintained. Several racers have been denied entry.

Other news - Dick Keyt's Polen Special had an engine failure and he had to withdraw his very fast and popular airplane.

IMG_6452_zps05e846e2.jpg

He will be flying in another entry as a second pilot in a Bonanza.

You can still enter the Mt. Vernon 100 race that will be flown locally on Saturday morning under SARL organization - www.sportairrace.org

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Back