What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuilt Skytech starter

drmax

Well Known Member
Hello. I've a new skytech starter (rebuilt but was told it was all new) with maybe 15 hrs on it. I have the circuit closed led light installed in panel. Recently, I'll turn the key and will only get a click, which I'm assuming is the starter solenoid (mounted on firewall per vans diagram). Hit the key again, once or twice will yield a start. Solenoid is also around 15 hrs old. I called Skytech and they pretty much said it would not be the 1st dud of a starter they'd sent out. Anyways, my red led light come on with this click, no start scenario. I have ck'd my wiring connections and are all secure. I have the master/generator red split switch with rotary key setup. Any thoughts? I'm ready to yank it and send it back in. Thx, DM

Take it to a local automotive starter/alternator shop. Except for the case all the parts are off the shelf automotive items.

Take it to a local automotive starter/alternator shop. Except for the case all the parts are off the shelf automotive items.

Ditto what Tom said. My -10's alternator went T.U. and a local shop mended a broken internal wire...$35 and one day turnaround.

Best,

Try a big fat jumper across the start solenoid first or hit it with jumper cables first. That will tell you if it's really the starter.

It's a totally free repair or replacement from skytech. If I hit it with a jumper, it will most likely crank. It is intermittent. I'm just wondering if it may be the key contacts....or the news solenoid. I suspect it to be the starter. Like I said...I can her it click (solenoid on firewall) and get the red led, when it does not crank. Just gonna yank it and send it in. What a pain in the ***

Before you pull the starter, take a quick look at this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=90977

Do the troubleshooting on the SkyTec web site - yeah, you've got to pull the cowl and get out a voltmeter, but it might save you shipping!

Someone posted (I thought it was on this thread, but I couldn't find it) that you should always back up the nut on the starter solenoid when tightening the nut that holds the cables - otherwise, you twist the contact inside the case, and it doesn't make good even contact with the plunger/wiper. I never knew that - but do now! It could make an almost new solenoid make poor contact.

Before you pull the starter, take a quick look at this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=90977

Do the troubleshooting on the SkyTec web site - yeah, you've got to pull the cowl and get out a voltmeter, but it might save you shipping!

Someone posted (I thought it was on this thread, but I couldn't find it) that you should always back up the nut on the starter solenoid when tightening the nut that holds the cables - otherwise, you twist the contact inside the case, and it doesn't make good even contact with the plunger/wiper. I never knew that - but do now! It could make an almost new solenoid make poor contact.
will have a look. thx and I went out flying again just now and 1st and 2nd key turn just that click....with the red led lit. Glad as heck I at least installed the led. Will post back what is found. Thx and bunch folks. DM

Thought I'd follow up...I did send off starter and tested ok on their end. They replaced solenoid as precautionary. I had found my terminals on master solenoid white powdered, a little. I suspect this could have been the culprit for starter. All appears normal for now. We'll see how long this last....;)

I was having the same contactor click/no start and it was getting worse. Sometimes it would take 20 or 30 tries. I pulled the solenoid off the starter and it had a catch in it. It had to line up just right or I couldn't depress the plunger. Replaced it with a BWD #S5613 solenoid off the shelf at O'Reillys auto parts for $25. Now it works.

If your starter is under warranty, by all means send it to SkyTec. If it's not, save yourself $175 and replace the solenoid yourself.

Ed Holyoke

Will end up rebuilding the key switch for $16 Spruce, as contacts may be worn inside. Most likely has been the issue all along. No clicks however, as of late. Just gonna due it as precautionary.

switch

Drmax,

If the solenoid clicks when you turn the key, my bet is that there is nothing wrong with the key switch.

clicking again

Welp, I'm finally being revisited with my "click" of starter. This has been rebuilt by skytec, and a new solenoid installed again at my request, even though the last solenoid was brand new. At Skytec request, they want be to disconnect the #16 wire between the start solenoid on firewall (vans recommended wiring) and simply reinstall the jumper on the starter. Skytec thinks it's ridiculous that Vans has it wired the way they do anyway and have never gotten an answer from the engineers as to why they have it wired the way they do. They just want me to try it this way for awhile to rule out the possibility it is the way I have it wired. (which is wired per print Vans method, is brand new #16 pull wire, brand new master and start solenoid, brand new #2 gage wire) Since it is intermittent, I will await this to happen again, with jumper installed. If it does they'll make me a deal on a NL starter. This is getting old...quickly. Oh and to add...when the click is happening, my installed red led energize light on the panel is coming on when I turn over the key. I have this wired to the start solenoid on firewall as recommended by you guys here.

double ck'd everything

I ck'd my 16 gage pull wire once again. No defects noted. I turn the key repeatedly disconnected from the started and always 12.6 volts. Being intermittent...who the heck knows. I do have a blue wire diode on the start solenoid and a yellow wire diode on the master, just to add this information.
Also, my red lamp led wire is hooked to the "I" term. on start solenoid. Skytec told me this should be wired to the #2 gage terminal, as to see the 12 volts are getting onto this wire, for the start. Make sense....can anyone confirm? If so, I should rewire my energize lamp to this big wire. Then when I get a click, I'll know for darn sure then it is a starter problem.
Yes, the "I" terminal shows me I'm getting 12 volts, but doesn't necessarily show me if the contacts are working correctly in the brand new start solenoid. Please advise. Thx, DM :confused:

NL starter

Skytec shipped my a brand new (no rebuilt) NL starter for free. Never had a bad start since. (15 starts later)

Back