What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank/Leading edge joint mismatch

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
So I just fit the tank to the main spar for the first time, and everything lines up perfectly, except for at the very tip of the leading edge, the radius of the tank vs the outboard LE don't quite match, as pictured. The rest of the joint at the splice strip is perfect, only the very tip is disjointed by about a skin's width.

I am thinking this will tighten up once all is riveted, or worst case scenario the joint could be smoothed with filler before paint, but did anybody else have the same experience?

14j4v0g.jpg

Thanks in advance as always

Chris

I had the same , it did tighten up some after riveting, I beveled and tapped the protruding skin slightly, then used pro seal to fill the gap all the way around the tank..
Greg.

Had similar

Chris,

I had a similar gap and used a ratcheting strap (orange strap in photos) to pull it into position before I put in the screws and rivets. This is what it looks like now. Remember also that the tank skin is thicker, so you'll never get a perfect match.

Back