What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Good Crappie Fishing Trip

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Last Thursday my oldest son Jamie and I headed south down the Delmarva Peninsula then accross the Chesapeake Bay to Chapel Hill NC. When we laned we met up with my best friend John and his son Ben, loaded into Johns car and headed to Oriental NC to go fishing.

NASA Wallops Island off the wing tip. Somewhere out there is the Antares Rocket on the pad ready for take off.
2d1o1ma.jpg

2 Hours and 20 min. On the ground
20890mb.jpg

Cant go to NC with out stopping for BBQ for lunch
16a4eiv.jpg

Then off the Garys Seafood Restaurant for dinner. Gary the owner built a RV9.
22dbvk.jpg

Oysters my favorite!
2l9nmtg.jpg

The boys fishing
35hfjo0.jpg

John caught the biggest fish 26" Spec Trout
Ben and Jamie caught smaller trout.
nxszz4.jpg

Last edited:
A Good Crapie Fishing Trip 2

Of course no fishing trip is complete without beer and guns!
zx9wgk.jpg

2yxj1qv.jpg

The whole crew on Dawson Creek.
16m9a1k.jpg

Before we left on the trip I had purchased a commercial ticket for my son as he HAD to be back home Sunday to prepare for his classes at Drexel University as Monday was the start of a new semester. The forcast was iffy for an RV return flight. I ended up spending Easter with John and his family.
Jamie flew back to Philly via Chicago on Southwest. Mondays weather was fine for my return trip. I did not reverse the route as there was some fog/mist on the coast so I headed north and went around the Washington Zone Of Death as we call it here in the Northeast. Enjoyed the 2 hour and 5min return flight listening to music and sight seeing. The trip by car is 7.5 hours. The RV sure is a time machine. Hope to return to NC for some more fishing later this year.

Oh what did I catch. Nothing at the coast but Johns house in Chapel hill is on a lake so Sunday eve I got lucky!

2wpqqfm.jpg

A 4 inch Crappie!

Last edited:
Good for bait, tho':) I once dropped a bream about that size into a bass bed and a 7 pounder hit it on my ultralight, but I finessed him in.

Best,

Very nice trip report! That "time machine" thing always amazes me. Last weekend my -9 turned an 8 hr driving trip to Ft. Myers into a very pleasant 2.75 hr flight. We are fortunate indeed :)

Great write-up!

You must have gotten some trip write-up tips from Vlad!
I'm planning another trip to visit my son at school at WFU in Winston Salem - yes 2:15hr by RV vs 7:30hr by car. . . and lots more fun. May need to go the eastern route and get some of those oysters!

Nice write up Jeff! Good to see the home field in a write up other than from Vlad or me!

NC "crappie" destination

Some good trip reads here! I live on Twin Lakes airport (8A7) just south of Winston-Salem NC , and can offer some good crappie/bass fishing right at the airport...there are 3 ponds with some good action my friend and neighbor owns, as well as room for a plane or 2 in my hangar. We often do fly-outs to the BBQ hotspot (Carthage Pik-n-pig) which is a 25 min flight away. Anyone heading into this area feel free to drop me a note and I can talk accomodations/camping as well.

Hi Jeff

OMG I can not stop laughing.

You ought to keep heading south. Another couple of hours you would be in Florida for Sun n Fun. I just saw Paul Rosales and his group taking off from Fort Meyers Page Field on thier way to the islands.
Rich Zeidman

Back