Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Talking $100 ADS-B receiver for Dynon/Garmin

Hi ya'll,

So lately I've been recreationally making some software for hobbyist drones. In the process I found a really cool software based ADS-B decoder. Someone has made a really cool open-source project that uses a $30 USB radio to decode ADS-B data. I've tried it out at home and it works great.

My desire is to use a Rasberry-Pi to convert this data into a form acceptable for aircraft avionics. Does anyone know of a document that specifies the protocol garmin or dynon expects for aircraft and/or weather data? With such a document I can easily make this project go.

I suspect the total cost to add ADS-B in to your RV with this project would be about $100.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM

alas - this is still cool but I just realized it is only supporting the 1090MHz stuff - so no weather and probably only traffic from 'big' airplanes. Bummer.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM

Default Which OS for the rPI?

Would the serial USB from the rPI be fast enough? what OS are you experimenting with?

12V, low cost solid state SD chip. Easy to update and next gen will be WiFi.

Cool!

Dkb
"My greatest fear: What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about?"

TDAircraft.com
-July-
--------------------------------------------------
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Yep - the USB on a low end ARM I have here for other purposes (approximately rPI class) had no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortcat View Post
Would the serial USB from the rPI be fast enough? what OS are you experimenting with?

12V, low cost solid state SD chip. Easy to update and next gen will be WiFi.

Cool!

Dkb
Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
alas - this is still cool but I just realized it is only supporting the 1090MHz stuff - so no weather and probably only traffic from 'big' airplanes. Bummer.
Kevin, I'm not sure that's entirely true.

It is my understanding that the FAA's ADS-B ground based transceivers (GBT's) are supposed to re-broadcast traffic target information (TIS-B) between the 1090ES and UAT interfaces, essentially acting as a bridge. GBT's might even broadcast traffic information of non-ADS-B broadcasting targets as well that were acquired by radar (though I'm not certain about that capability being implemented). In any case, a 1090ES receiver should not be limited to knowing only about targets that are broadcasting on 1090ES (typically "big" airplanes), due to the bridging role played by the GBT's.

About weather (FIS-B), true, it is not supported on 1090ES. Only on UAT.

P.S. I think your idea is waaay cool, and when I get some time (after I get my airplane flying), I could definitely see picking it up and helping make it work (if you haven't already)!
www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/
Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 AM

P.S. I don't know what your technical background is, but if you have the right skills and are so inclined, you could implement a UAT receiver using the same approach these guys took to implement the 1090ES receiver. UAT uses a different band (978MHz), different modulation scheme, and different data protocol. But it sounds from the cursory description of this piece of hardware that it gives you all you need for the RF front end to support UAT as well. And beyond that, it's a soft decoder that you have to implement for the UAT standard.
www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM

In Oz that is all we are getting. I would think that there are a lot of people down under that would like this project... me included :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Good to know. Okay, I'd happily do this then. Anyone know of docs on the protocol Garmin or Dynon wants their traffic data in? (So I can have my widget emit data in the form they will display)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roee View Post
Kevin, I'm not sure that's entirely true.

It is my understanding that the FAA's ADS-B ground based transceivers (GBT's) are supposed to re-broadcast traffic target information (TIS-B) between the 1090ES and UAT interfaces, essentially acting as a bridge. GBT's might even broadcast traffic information of non-ADS-B broadcasting targets as well that were acquired by radar (though I'm not certain about that capability being implemented). In any case, a 1090ES receiver should not be limited to knowing only about targets that are broadcasting on 1090ES (typically "big" airplanes), due to the bridging role played by the GBT's.

About weather (FIS-B), true, it is not supported on 1090ES. Only on UAT.

P.S. I think your idea is waaay cool, and when I get some time (after I get my airplane flying), I could definitely see picking it up and helping make it work (if you haven't already)!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 AM

I still really like the 396/496. It would be really cool if one could reverse-engineer the GXM30 antenna protocol so that a Pi receiving ADS/B weather could be used instead. I suspect its no more than a USB-to-serial connection.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 AM

I too am happy to help.
Been working on my Pi aprs iGate. This would be more fun.
I think I have some gld39 data captures laying around.
Gold Hill, NC25