What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X / Van's Flap Positioning System

jwilbur

Well Known Member
If I am planning to use the Vertical Power VP-X in my RV-10, do I still need the Flap Positioning System Van's optionally provides in the Fuse kit?

If you want the VPX to display positioning on the EFIS or do the nifty one button auto up deal, you'll need the position sensor mentioned above. I believe it will drive the flaps normally without any sort of sensor, but then you have to go through all that bother of looking outside at the flaps to determine if they are up or down and that is just far to much aggravation for me. I put in the POS12, which is pretty simple all in all.

Yep,

With the position sensor, the VP-X can do all sorts of tricks.

The one touch/multi position feature is cool, the one touch retract is cool, the slow speed on go-around feature is cool, the inhibit above flap speed feature is cool, for the RV-10 the reflex position feature is cool....

The VP-X is just plain cool!

You will not need to use any of the Vans provided position sensor. You will need to mount a sensor as noted above. This will provide position data to the VP-X and will subsequently be displayed on your EFIS. The new software, which is yet to be released, has been modified to allow you to put the flaps down to neutral at any speed. The airspeed setting limit now only affects positions beyond neutral. Also, the one press retract is no longer. One press of the switch will retract to the first position, a second press will retract to the neutral position and a third press to the reflex position. Multiple continuous presses of the switch allows a complete retract. This is nice because it allows partial removal of flaps without looking at the specific position as before.
Below is a photo of how we installed the position sensor.
IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

I just got the email from Marc today, I had not checked the web site. I still have the Beta installed (1.5.3) and need to install the final release. I've been flying with this for the past couple of months or so.
BTW, Nice job on the upgrade!

Back