VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Default Carburetor mixture distribution

I am early in Phase 1 testing on the RV9A with 17 hours on it so far. It has performed extremely well and has only had a few minor glitches to deal with. The engine is running strong and oil consumption stabilized in the first 4 hours. Early on I noticed I had the typical fuel distribution issues common to carbureted Lycoming engines. Wide open throttle produced very uneven EGT’s as well as causing cylinder head temps to be 50 to 60 degrees apart. (Forget lean of peak ops all together) Simply closing the throttle slightly brought everything inline. Not the best situation, so I started doing lots of research on correcting the issue. I found several articles from sources like NASA, Navion, etc. pertaining to uneven fuel distribution caused by turbulence entering the carburetor from poor air box design. Since I fabricated my own air box I became convinced this was the source of my distribution issues. I found over the years several manufacturers had to include air straightening devices in their air box to correct similar issues. Most consisted of a few well-placed blades to help straighten the air and direct it through the carb. I didn’t want to go that route, so enter 21st century materials. Cars today use a honeycomb airflow straightener in front of the airflow sensor to straighten the air and prevent inaccurate readings caused by turbulent flow. The material they used appeared a little restrictive to me for use in a 320 cubic inch engine, so after some searching I found someone who sold a replacement with 1/8” honeycomb cells made from aircraft grade aluminum and 1/4" thick. I took the material, sandwiched it between two pieces of aluminum, potted the thing together with epoxy with spacers in the bolt locations and mounted it between the air box and carburetor.

I now have 4 hours on it since the mod and the results so far are impressive. I gained 50 RPM in static run up. The engine is smoother and more responsive. The really amazing part is, it will now run 20-30 degrees lean of peak with fuel flow under 7 GPH . I feel more could be had if I had electronic ignition to help light the lean mixture as anything over 30 degrees LOP causes an intermittent slight miss. I have more testing to do before I call it a complete success, but at this point I am convinced it’s a win.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Do your own research and choose wisely
We are talking about a powerplant modification. It's in early testing and I make no claims as to it's safety. If you choose to
make a modification like this you do so at your own risk.
It's an airplane!
First Flight 1-13-2013!

Last edited by Don Jones : 03-02-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 PM

Default Very interesting

Very Interesting, thanks for sharing!

AJ Wessels (Perth Australia)

Owning and flying C172
Completed - Phase 1 RV6
http://rv6aj.wordpress.com/
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM

Default Air Straightener

So where can we purchase this material? I've been looking for this type of solution for a long time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jones View Post
I am early in Phase 1 testing on the RV9A with 17 hours on it so far. It has performed extremely well and has only had a few minor glitches to deal with. The engine is running strong and oil consumption stabilized in the first 4 hours. Early on I noticed I had the typical fuel distribution issues common to carbureted Lycoming engines. Wide open throttle produced very uneven EGTís as well as causing cylinder head temps to be 50 to 60 degrees apart. (Forget lean of peak ops all together) Simply closing the throttle slightly brought everything inline. Not the best situation, so I started doing lots of research on correcting the issue. I found several articles from sources like NASA, Navion, etc. pertaining to uneven fuel distribution caused by turbulence entering the carburetor from poor air box design. Since I fabricated my own air box I became convinced this was the source of my distribution issues. I found over the years several manufacturers had to include air straightening devices in their air box to correct similar issues. Most consisted of a few well-placed blades to help straighten the air and direct it through the carb. I didnít want to go that route, so enter 21st century materials. Cars today use a honeycomb airflow straightener in front of the airflow sensor to straighten the air and prevent inaccurate readings caused by turbulent flow. The material they used appeared a little restrictive to me for use in a 320 cubic inch engine, so after some searching I found someone who sold a replacement with 1/8Ē honeycomb cells made from aircraft grade aluminum and 1/4" thick. I took the material, sandwiched it between two pieces of aluminum, potted the thing together with epoxy with spacers in the bolt locations and mounted it between the air box and carburetor.

I now have 4 hours on it since the mod and the results so far are impressive. I gained 50 RPM in static run up. The engine is smoother and more responsive. The really amazing part is, it will now run 20-30 degrees lean of peak with fuel flow under 7 GPH . I feel more could be had if I had electronic ignition to help light the lean mixture as anything over 30 degrees LOP causes an intermittent slight miss. I have more testing to do before I call it a complete success, but at this point I am convinced itís a win.
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Also since this is on the carburetor side of the air filter, what type of epoxy was used?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 AM

When the honeycomb finally fatigues and starts coming apart, what keeps it out of the engine?

Other than that -- nice.

Dave
Old 03-02-2013, 01:22 PM

Change it every condition inspection?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Default down stream fuel distribution

You may have a game changer here if your results are repeatable. I'd given up on anything close to lean of peak with my carb'd 0360. I'd understood that the problem with fuel distribution in carbs was uneven fuel mixing down stream from the venturi. How does this straightener effect that? Any expert opinions?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM

This is very interesting, seems effective. We do maintenance and inspections any way so a check on the condition periodically should be no problem. It makes sense to me and if we can get the cylinder flows a little closer to each other that is good and should help some.

Bird
http://www.mykitlog.com/tcb328/
Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Been working for a while...

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...hp/t-5018.html

http://aviacompinternational.com/carbheatboxes.html

http://www.aircraftspruce.eu/Engine-...LISON-TBI.html

VAF# 671
Repeat Offender

Friend of the RV-1

Last edited by LifeofReiley : 03-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Default mixture distribution

A couple days ago I posted this somewhere else on the forum. Bart at Aero Sport??? in Canada has some alternative ways of dealing with this. Superior has a sump that improves mixture distribution and Bart makes some further improvements to the Superior sump. If I were to make a flow divider for the top of the air box it would be made of steel. I think the openings can be much larger than 1/8".
Another thing that allegedly works is wrapping the leanest intake pipes with insulation-cooler mixture equals richer mixture.