What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vernier Throttle

Bikeman55

Sorry guys, I'm just a Bonanza driver at heart. I loved my vernier throttle and really want it in my new RV-7. Looking at the Van's website, they list a 44.5" throttle cable for an RV-7 with an O-360. Is that what I would look for in a vernier? Any other special considerations? Any suggestions as to brand/type, where to get one?

I went to a local shop http://www.bearservicesupply.com/#overview) that makes fuel/oil lines and cables for the oil field industry. They made me a custom length vernier throttle cable for $60. Of course I didnt tell them it was for an airplane. I lifted this pic off the Net, but its the same cable.

throttle_zps7bd5856a.jpg

Last edited:
Go to McFarlane

They make a combo vernier and push pull that I have seen in use. It acts like a push pull but allows you to make fine adjustments by turning knob.

ACS sell vernier throttles abd I installed one, but my technical councillor objected, so out it came and a standard one went in. Maybe it will go back in at a later date as I like them.

Formation?

If you have any desire to fly formation I recommend that you NOT use a vernier control on your throttle cable. Such controls are not permitted at most formation clinics. If you have no intention of doing formation flying disregard this post and enjoy your vernier throttle control.

If you have any desire to fly formation I recommend that you NOT use a vernier control on your throttle cable. Such controls are not permitted at most formation clinics. If you have no intention of doing formation flying disregard this post and enjoy your vernier throttle control.

Would a lever throttle but a vernier mixture be ok for formation?

The claw

Flying formation for any length of time with a vernier throttle will turn your hand into a claw!

I'm about to have one for sale cheeeeep! Lol

I have a vernier throttle cable in the 172, absolutely love it for taxi. I'll definitely be putting one in the 9A.

... Such controls are not permitted at most formation clinics. ...

I have a vernier throttle cable in the 172, absolutely love it for taxi. I'll definitely be putting one in the 9A.

Not aware of any RV formation clinics that ever allowed vernier throttles.

Have a number of hours in a Mooney with a vernier throttle. I hated it. Almost crashed trying to do a go around with the vernier throttle trying to get full power. Messed up a few precision landings missing my spot as I could not get the power off when I wanted it.

Vernier throttles are just like religion, politics, and primers. Everyone has an opinion and their mind cannot usually be changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Have a number of hours in a Mooney with a vernier throttle. I hated it. Almost crashed trying to do a go around with the vernier throttle trying to get full power. Messed up a few precision landings missing my spot as I could not get the power off when I wanted it.

Vernier throttles are just like religion, politics, and primers. Everyone has an opinion and their mind cannot usually be changed.

Not trying to change anyone's mind, but I routinely fly aircraft that are equipped with one of each type. The RV is a lever operated with the left hand, and my Hiperbipe is a vernier, on the right hand. I don't notice much of a difference in normal ops. I can certainly see where formation would be easier with a lever or non locking knob, but the vernier is certainly not dangerous under other circumstances. After all, with the button pushed in, it's just a regular slide throttle.

The vernier has an advantage when trying to set and maintain a specific setting... For a throttle, this has almost no utility for my typical mission which has the throttle against the stop for several hours at a time. Prop and mixture - absolutely go vernier! So in my case, the vernier throttle is not hard to deal with, but its also no advantage, so the conventional friction throttle gets the slight edge.

I have a Vernier assist cable on my rv12 - this is a new product for them.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=87847 VAF post for the Vernier assist cable

Smokey just out of curiosity would this be allowed for formation flying since it is not a push button, but assist. Push pull and turn to fine tune.

I haven't used one of these so I can't say for sure, but if it has a push/pull action without having to hold a button I would say this would be OK for formation work. The problem with traditional vernier controls is that you are unable to push/pull without first having to hold the button down. You are constantly making fine and rapid adjustments to the throttle during formation flying so any locking mechanism is to be avoided.

Thanks Smokey, it is very smooth push or pull with a friction lock. But you can still fine tune with a twist.

To me the best of both worlds:)

Mcfarlane

I wil not be flying formation with may RV9 anyway. But I think a vernier throttle with friction lock is a better option for a more precise powersetting. The setting of my standard throttle is fading sometime what results in a rpm change from 2500 to 2400 or 2300 or viceversa without touching it. Here is the one I m considering to purchase:

http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Products/?CategoryID=344&ID=94211145&

But which length should I use ?

Throttle Control with 10-32 threaded end (MCTV1035 series):
Order part number MCTV1035-LLL, where LLL is the length in inches.
Choose control length 036, 048, 060, 072, 084, or 096.

Thanks for your advice
Pit

Last edited:
I have one in my Bellanca Cruisemaster.
I don't like it. 2 reasons:
You have to push the button for regular large power changes, like take off or landing ops, or in any emergency like deer on the runway or such. This is an extra thought & movement which could cause a delay. I think I have more control with my hand on the knob and my forefinger against the friction lock with a non-vernier unit.
Also, I've had one fail. They jam up. In my case it was a prop control. It just wore out inside. I was playing around, gliding back to the home drome with about 1600RPM, when I entered the pattern, it wouldn't go in. So the GUMP check didn't get the "Prop Hi RPM" part.
The throttle is a very important part of the flight control system, that vernier button gets pushed a lot more than the prop or mixture vernier control.

I only fly one aircraft regularly right now, and it's got a vernier throttle (though I learned to fly on a standard), so this issue about the button being a problem strikes me a bit strange. To me, operating with the vernier throttle became second nature in the 172 after about 10 hours. I think about finding that button about as much as I think about pulling up my zipper when I'm done in the bathroom. It's just automatic. I guess I could understand if your transitioning between aircraft that have different setups, but other than that I just don't see the issue. If it's your primary bird, you'll get used to it in a heartbeat.

I just don't see this as any different than the stick/yoke argument. Put some time in the left seat, get used to it, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
There are reasons some controls are not allowed in formation flying, your zipper mileage may vary.
Mike

I don't fly formation, I give full acknowledgement that specific missions require specific equipment - my comments are only directed at the argument about it being different, therefore it's bad because we'll have to think about it.

If a last minute go around was needed to avoid a disaster at the last second do you really want to look for that BUTTON. The one without the button sounds interesting.

Have a number of hours in a Mooney with a vernier throttle. I hated it. Almost crashed trying to do a go around with the vernier throttle trying to get full power. Messed up a few precision landings missing my spot as I could not get the power off when I wanted it.

If your looking for that BUTTON, your looking for that Control as well. You either know your aircraft or you don't. Currency, practice and proficiency...

Not arguing or disagreeing with any group not allowing for formation flying.

Isn't it possible to convert a venier throttle to a standard throttle? I thought I read about that somewhere.

Back