What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

#2 wire lugs...

gstone

Well Known Member
Using #2 wire for the main and need to find lugs that have less than 3/8 stud hole. ACS is my normal source but they don't have different size holes??

Suggestions??

Thanks!!

Now... Crimping!

Are these large lug crimpers unique to aviation or will standard electrical crimpers for that size work???

Anybody rent these??? Seems a shame to buy for a few connections.. large tool!!

Thanks!!

Not sure the diameter of the #2 lug, but for large lugs I have used the tube holder for my flaring tool. It has a number of different size holes and has worked fine for me in the past.

No they aren't unique to aviation, but they are many different approaches as to how best terminate these connectors. There is one RV-10 fatality that was directly attributed to the #2 wire coming out of the terminal.

You will find tools that cost from $10 to over $100. My experience with tools, is that you usually get what you pay for.

I used the Terminal Tool, which Stein used to sell. It appears like they may have stopped manufacturing since they've been unavailable for quite some time. Stein now sells another type of crimper.

You may be able to locate a local electrician that can assist you. I'm not aware of any place that rents. You might also what to ask folks in your local EAA chapter if anyone has one you can borrow.

Welding supply house may another source. Some folks use welding cable since it tends to be a little more flexible than Tefzel coated #2. There is also another type of of cable that is aluminum with a copper coating. Be aware that these alternates may have different characteristics in flamability and how they terminate.

That's great!!

Thanks to all for the info, I have an electrical contractor buddy that is gonna loan me his, if that doesn't do it will check other options!!

Thanks again!!

Terminal Tool told me they stopped producing them due to manufacturing costs. I previously talked to stein and they do have a rental Terminal Tool if you contact them they will rent you. I too used the Harbor Freight Hydraulic crimper and it works great.

Using #2 wire for the main and need to find lugs that have less than 3/8 stud hole. ACS is my normal source but they don't have different size holes??

Suggestions??

Thanks!!

I prefer Burndy brand terminals, as they are more stout, when compared to the Amp brand commonly used. They make terminals for 2AWG with stud holes down to 1/4". For photos and more info refer to the thread linked below.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=43785&highlight=Burndy+terminals

Below I have listed the sizes and Burndy part numbers for some of the terminals I used.

Battery terminal 1 AWG 1/4" or (5/16") hole YA(Z)1C-2TC14

Ring terminal 2 AWG 1/4" hole YAV2CL-TC14-FX

Ring terminal 1 AWG 1/4" hole YAV1CL-TC14-FX

Ring terminal 1 AWG 5/16" hole YA1C -TC516-FX

Ring terminals 2 AWG #8 - 10 hole YAV2CTC10FXB

Ring terminal long barrel 6 AWG #10 hole .41 YA6CTC10

Ring terminal long barrel 6 AWG #10 hole .48 YAV6CTC10FXB

Ring terminal Std barrel 6 AWG #10 hole .41 YA6CL1BOX

I got mine from my local Graybar industrial electrical supply house. Ace Hardware also carries them. If you have a friend who is a residential or commercial electrician, he will know all about these. Ask him if you can borrow his Greenlee crimping tool.

Charlie

PS There have been reports on this site of Amp brand terminals failing due to vibration fatigue on starters and alternators. You won't have that problem with Burndy terminals

Back