What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shutter device/oil cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmax

Well Known Member
Hello. With the experienced...can this shutter be flipped around and mounted in any 4 possible possitions....or is it meant to be oriented in a specific way? I ask this, as if I order one I'll want to be able to have the control cable mounted on the bottom outboard side. I'm unsure if the lever control is at a corner...in order for me to be able to do this. I want to assure I have ample cable room and routing it at the top would not work well. Thx, DM

Shutter

As I recall, the only restriction would be cable bracket interference with the baffling, assuming you'd be mounting it between the cooler & baffle where it would be the most effective.
I also recall these shutters not being terribly effective overall.

As I recall, the only restriction would be cable bracket interference with the baffling, assuming you'd be mounting it between the cooler & baffle where it would be the most effective.
I also recall these shutters not being terribly effective overall.

I had excellent experience with one, which is the same as another friend's, who's built two RVs. The shutter was VERY effective. A perfect solution! Otherwise, I was alway's taping over the cooler for winter months. No restriction on mounting direction, as long as the cable works. It must be shimmed away from the cooler with washer's, etc......so it doesn't bind. It also must be installed in front of the cooler.

L.Adamson

Ok, so if the cable attaches to the corner (lever postion) then I "should" be able to mount it so that corner is at the bottom outbd side, like I previously mentioned. This would be the best area for cable interference.
I stopped twice today, for more tape. If I had blocked it completely over, it would have went over 200. As it is now, there are 5 1/2" holes left and got me to 170. Really starting to nerve me, that I can't fine tune it. I am glad for the latter response. Reassuring me that it will work. By this adjustment, will also raise my cht's. Strange enough, a couple cyl's are run around 250 the other 2 are 325. (outside temp windchill around zero F.) The more I block, the hotter the oil, the less air wizing though the cooler, the hotter the cht's. Ordering one in the morning, with cable and attachment gizmo. Thx, DM
PS yes, between cooler and baffle...to replace this hoakie alum. plate with my holes and alum. foil tape...sorta a "Sanfred" fix (-:

Ah, finally looked at a pic of the shutter. 2 different options for cable op's. (top or bottom) I'll pop the cowl and have a look. There'll need to be a spot on the eng. near the control lever, to clamp off the cable end in order for it to work properly. Wonder if they sell a shorter cable. :confused: Thx DM

Ah, finally looked at a pic of the shutter. 2 different options for cable op's. (top or bottom) I'll pop the cowl and have a look. There'll need to be a spot on the eng. near the control lever, to clamp off the cable end in order for it to work properly. Wonder if they sell a shorter cable. :confused: Thx DM

The cable on mine, is clipped to length, & uses a set screw.

Ah...new for me. You cut the outter sheath and cable to length? That keeps me from asking vans a dumb question. Thx, DM

Yes, just make sure it's in the full extended (full length) position before cutting. Some dummy I know............didn't. Required a new cable from Van's........to just use the inside wire part.

Yes, just make sure it's in the full extended (full length) position before cutting. Some dummy I know............didn't. Required a new cable from Van's........to just use the inside wire part.
Hey, I may be related to that dummy.....hehehe :p Thank you for the chuckle...just what I needed to get my day started!

I've got a few pictures on my web site of my installation that might help.
http://home.newwavecomm.net/bobbyhester/MyFlyingRV7A.htm
Very nice clean look. Was that spacer type device already part of the build kit for the 7, or was that something you created? Looks very very nice. I was hoping I didn't need to create anything, but will do what it takes. Also, I'm realizing now (with your installed big foward side) that the thing is basically cutting off 1/2 the air supply, all the way open. I guess I can see a heat issue in the summer. Did you ever fly it installed, wide open in the dead of summer? Where were your temps then?
I was hoping to not have to keep screwing around with this.

Last edited:
Very nice clean look. Was that spacer type device already part of the build kit for the 7, or was that something you created? Looks very very nice. I was hoping I didn't need to create anything, but will do what it takes. Also, I'm realizing now (with your installed big foward side) that the thing is basically cutting off 1/2 the air supply, all the way open. I guess I can see a heat issue in the summer. Did you ever fly it installed, wide open in the dead of summer? Where were your temps then?
I was hoping to not have to keep screwing around with this.

You have to figure in the free flow area through the oil cooler itself. With all the tubes & fins, the flow through capacity is much less than the total surface area. I haven't measured the exact square inches of shutter opening versus the free area of the cooler, but it works. Summers around here can be in the 90's.

I'm a heating & air conditioning contractor. We're always doing the same (figuring percentages of flow) with registers, grills, air conditioning coils, etc.

You have to figure in the free flow area through the oil cooler itself. With all the tubes & fins, the flow through capacity is much less than the total surface area. I haven't measured the exact square inches of shutter opening versus the free area of the cooler, but it works. Summers around here can be in the 90's.

I'm a heating & air conditioning contractor. We're always doing the same (figuring percentages of flow) with registers, grills, air conditioning coils, etc.
So you're leaving your shutter on in the heat of the summer (wherever you live) and all is well, as in no over heating? I'm in Indiana and it can be over 100 for days on end.

I had excellent experience with one, which is the same as another friend's, who's built two RVs. The shutter was VERY effective. A perfect solution! Otherwise, I was alway's taping over the cooler for winter months. No restriction on mounting direction, as long as the cable works. It must be shimmed away from the cooler with washer's, etc......so it doesn't bind. It also must be installed in front of the cooler.

L.Adamson
Does your 6 mount the oil cooler right up tight behind the air plenum, like on a 9? If so, did you just slide the shutter in there and then use washers to shim it out so the shutter work properly? The other fella (bhester) with the 7 that I asked if he fabricated his plenum device....I'm pretty sure he did, as the 7's oil cooler is normally mounted on the firewall, least my friends is. Going to order one Tuesday. DM

Last edited:
success

Finally got to run my bird last weekend for about 40 minutes. The shutter is extremely effective, especially when you have temps that fluctuate as they do in Indiana. I was able to dial my oil temp to about 190 and keep it there. Sure beats the heck outta taping, or drilling holes in a makeshift blocker panel. With regards to my own question, regarding mounting the shutter and shimming...If you're putting this on a standard 9 model, I made about a .200 shim outta alum. It looks about like a picture frame. This kept the shutter control arm out away from the rear baffle, as there would be some interference with the control cable nut. I ground some of the threads off of that, as well. You also will end up bending the top and bottom flange where the oil cooler used to set...flat, (or as best as possible) in order for it all to sit flush. Anyways, this was all worth it to me. DM

This is what mine looks like.

Of course, it hasn't flown yet.

Looks like it will work nice!

oil cooler shutter.jpg

:cool: CJ

I'm happy with mine so far...although, it's stool cool here, so we'll see what summer brings.

However, when putting mine in, I do recall that if you install it one way, the shutters will contact the cooler fins as they slide, so it needs to go the other way (IIRC) to keep them clear of the fins. I believe if they contact the fins, eventually the shutters will "grab" and bend them...

I'm happy with mine so far...although, it's stool cool here, so we'll see what summer brings.

However, when putting mine in, I do recall that if you install it one way, the shutters will contact the cooler fins as they slide, so it needs to go the other way (IIRC) to keep them clear of the fins. I believe if they contact the fins, eventually the shutters will "grab" and bend them...
shim out on each bolt with a thin washer, will correct that. will also keep from smashing the fins, as they are delicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back