What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mel Fisher museum in Key West

pierre smith

Well Known Member
A few pics from our KEYW trip:
DSCN0380_zps39a1c80d.jpg

Bust of Mel..Jenny and me:
DSCN0379_zps1ecd406b.jpg

A replica of the Mother Lode. They said that the metal detectors went nuts when they found this literal "Reef" of gold and silver bars:

DSCN0381_zps5a12bb71.jpg

Millions of dollars of gold and silver bars, after more than 17 years of searching:
DSCN0383_zps4a427d8f.jpg

Remember, the Atocha lay broken up for almost 400 years before Mel found the cargo:
DSCN0382_zps06eafdb1.jpg

DSCN0384_zpsa1e34424.jpg

They made replica coins from some of the silver bars, available to buy through the museum:

Gold chains were taxed at a lot lower rate than money, so sailors often would wear these expensive chains and remove a link as needed for purchases: This particular chain is valued at $690,000, not $690.00

DSCN0376_zps15311888.jpg

The museum was one of the highlights of the trip for me, a scuba diver with an underwater metal detector:

DSCN0375_zpsfc91d5d5.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/pierresmith/DSCN0385_zpsa648747b.jpg

DSCN0372_zps6b2c4e88.jpg

...and a farewell:

DSCN0367_zps35559d4a.jpg

You'll never regret a trip to KEYW! New Orleans, IMO, doesn't hold a candle to this beautiful paradise.

If Doug doesn't mind, I have a few pictures of Ernest Hemingway's home and studio, plus Harry Truman's "Little White House" that he loved so much.

Best,

Last edited:
Thanks, Pierre. That's a great photographic report. I especially liked the photo of "your bust." There's something about sunken treasure and gold Pieces'O Eight!!!

Key West has always been on my bucket list - haven't made it yet - but, methinks you've moved it way up the list. When my RV-12 gets flying.... I'd also like to visit the birthplace of Pan Am - a special airline to me. Been to MIA many times, but never made it down the Keys.

It's interesting to note the taxation and tax-avoidance schemes - seems the gubermint and the taxman are things that never change! I know that state govts and the feds get into any of these salvage operations - a guy like Mel can spend his whole life looking, and when he finds something, they show up to put their hands in his pockets. Sheeesh.

Finally, seeing all those gold bars reminds me of one of my favorite lines in a Beach Boys song:

All the Gold
in California
is in the middle of a bank
in Beverly Hills
under
Some else's name.....

Thanks for sharing - I might stop at your place on my way down there.....

Bob Bogash
N737G

Gatlin Brothers

Finally, seeing all those gold bars reminds me of one of my favorite lines in a Beach Boys song:

All the Gold
in California
is in the middle of a bank
in Beverly Hills
under
Some else's name.....

Small correction, that's not the Beach Boys, that's the Gatlin Brothers who sing that song.

Bob. according to manuscripts in the museum, Mel fought a 7 year long battle that finally ended up in the Supreme court, over the salvage rights.

One judge said something to the effect, "That to think that a civilized government would deny a citizen the right to keep what they rightly found and deserve, rather preposterous", or something similar. Mel prevailed in the end.

Best,

Reason for the outsized gold chains and jewelry was only the king could own gold, but jewelry was allowed for private ownership. Some gold was being smuggled to Spain, off the books. That gold is the long skinny bars shaped to fit a bootleg (sound familiar?).
Several years back we saw Mel shuffle into the gift shop to greet some customers with the big gold logging chain draped over his shoulders. That thing must have weighed over a hundred pounds. That by itself made our trip!

Thanks

Pierre,
Thanks for the post and pictures. I have researched Key West this morning and the museum history. I am making plans to go there this summer. Thanks for the introduction to this jewel. Oh and the flying write up was fun too.

That's a great museum! And we loved Mel's story...

"Today's the day!"

Every day, for years, until one day...it was "the day"...and all of Key West, including the radio station, was looking for Mel to tell him they'd found the treasure...

Great story...

Key West is a fun place, lots of interesting places. The restaurant/bar where Juan Trippe started Pan-Am, complete with bar made out of a wing (replaced, I understand, as the original was getting pretty well banged up), Hemingway's house complete with dozens of polydactyl cats lounging around, etc.

Neat place...looking forward to going back.

Smile Pierre, that's all I did with my wife. We love the place. Also over at the airport (Keywest) is a RV9A that a lady has just completed. Don't remember her name off hand but the people there know her. Do check out the three story bar. Each floor caterers to different age groups and music. Roof bar is a kick! All on Duval street. Can't skip the Green Parriot bar,plenty of pool tables just off Duval st. You would be surprised who owns it.. AND RIGHT next door is a outdoor RIBS BAR B Q. I swear the BEST ribs I have eveer eatin!!!!!!!! Ron in Oregon..

Pierre,
Thanks for the post and pictures. I have researched Key West this morning and the museum history. I am making plans to go there this summer. Thanks for the introduction to this jewel. Oh and the flying write up was fun too.

Go in the early spring... it's awfully hot and muggy in the summer!! My wife & I spent a week in just KW last March, we had a great time. She's ready to move there!

Go in the early spring... it's awfully hot and muggy in the summer!! My wife & I spent a week in just KW last March, we had a great time. She's ready to move there!

A small piece of advise...this is a wonderful place to vacation. I'm sure that if I leave, I'll come back often for vacation. Living here has many, many, obstacles. Consider this...it's over 100 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart...a 1200 sq ft home, not on the water is 200K...on the water is 350K and up. We're a bunch of islands connected by one road. For anyone considering moving down here, I'd think long and hard about it first. I've been here 8 years, and the wife and I truly have the itch to get back on the mainland. I call it the "convenience factor" that's missing. YMMV.

Back