Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2006, 03:31 PM

I'll second Randy's comments. OSH is the EASIEST fly-in as far as getting on and off the field in your plane, that I have ever attended. I've flown to OSHKOSH twice now in my RV-4 from California. I won't even go to may local fly-ins because of the crowded airspace and taxi-space. OSH is a whole different animal. They've got traffic management down to a science. Fatalities are extremely sad and disheartening when they happen but they don't keep me out of the sky and they won't keep me out of OSH. I'll be back next year hopefully.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM

Makes my heart ache. That Avenger is huge, and I'll bet the pilot is as devastated as the pilot of the RV. Little to no forward visibility on the Avenger- a tragic accident indeed.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:18 PM

Default oh geez

Ugh -- the pics confirm it. I met these guys on Sunday while I was preparing for my trip back east. We had a nice conversation, chatted about the plane for a while and then parted ways. For some reason this accident is more personal for me because we spent a few minutes chatting. Very sad.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Default Picture Edits

Thanks Doug for editing the pictures. I have not seen any pictures of this accident. I have only read postings about it and news stories. Although it is a macabre type of fascination we have with this type of incident I do not think that the "public has a right to know" everything. If this were me I would not want my picture pasted on a website for the world to gauk over. I am reminded of the "Great Waldo Pepper" movie scene when the guy crashes his plane after attempting an outside loop. Everyone rushed to the crash where the guy was trapped under the plane. If you have seen the movie you know what happened. I for one do not want to be one of the gaukers!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Pics for the world

Quote:
If this were me I would not want my picture pasted on a website for the world to gauk over.
I agree with you! it is a metter of respect for the ones involved.
Doug I second Steve's view on this matter
Old 08-03-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-10 Trainer
I agree with you! it is a metter of respect for the ones involved.
Doug I second Steve's view on this matter
I had the misfortune of responding as a Firefighter to a cargo 747 crash where 7 crew members were lost.A person who should have known better started taking pictures of the deceased for reasons not involved with the investigation. I recall vividly the feeling I had (and still do) of how this violation transcended the bounds of human decency .It remains a proud moment in my career where I persuaded the individual that a continuation of the practice would very quickly become hazardous to his health, although I don't believe I worded it quite the same way.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Unmoderated

The home page states the forum is unmoderated. That's False.

[ed. What I mean by 'unmoderated' here is that messages are not placed in a que that has to be approved before being sent out to the forum. dr]

The pictures Doug elected to remove are surely available somewhere on the internet as well as news websites and or newspapers.

The site also states kid friendly... well my kid reads the newspaper and other websites as well as myself. I don't know what he thinks he can hide? The pictures as I saw them were an accident scene, just as you would see in the newspaper. Nothing gross or out of line at all...

Some must not have seen the posted pictures.

VAF# 671
Repeat Offender

Friend of the RV-1

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 08-03-2006 at 04:44 PM. Reason: clarified the meaning of 'moderated'
Old 08-03-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeofReiley
The home page states the forum is unmoderated. That's False.
I think what you are objecting to is the "censorship" of the pictures and not the moderation of the forum. Somewhere in our "we must have total freedom to do as we please" mentality we have this misconception that censorship is a bad thing. All of us censor our lives multiple times a day. If you have kids you censor what they see and hear daily. I think if we did more of it in a public forum such as this we would live in a much better world. Thanks again Doug, I do not need to rubber neck at the car accident on the side of the road.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:47 PM

Exclamation Witness to Accident

Greetings all:
I'm a bit late catching this thread, but I wanted to add my two cents.

I am a witness to the accident and first to arrive on the scene, as I was going to shut down the RV when it appeared the pilot was killed. As it turned out, he survived uninjured and I cleared the area as show personnel arrived.

You can see one of the pictures, and my civilian statement (not the one submitted to the NTSB), at the FlyLow page, at this URL:
http://www.fly-low.com/feat0906/oshcrash06.html