What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sloppy rudder pedals and dragging brakes fixed

Strasnuts

Well Known Member
I came up with a solution for my dragging brakes and the sloppy pedal mounts. I've seen builders use bolts for the hinge point and springs on the master cylinder pistons. I didn't like using the spring on my master cylinder pistons. I thought over time it would scar the piston. The geometry from the factory setup is less than ideal. I know a lot of builders don't have this problem but I was tired of having the loose bolts hold the pedal to alleviate friction for the pedal to return. The internal spring in the master cylinders aren't strong enough to pull the pedal back to release the brake fluid. Here is a pic of my solution. This way the rudder moves freely and the springs push the pedal back. I'll put a kit together which may also have a bolt/bushing combo that allows tightening of the master cylinder to pedal joint.

Don't mind my possessed dog in the background.

2w53ojl.jpg

Last edited:
Clean fix

Sean,

I like...was not looking forward to the alternative of adding springs and set collar to master cly.

I will wait for you to provide a kit so we can pay you for your R&D time.

Thanks!

Sean, I got into SLC yesterday. I wish I had thought about coming over and seeing your plane. We are heading out tomorrow, so maybe next time. If you ever get in the Glenwood Springs - Aspen area, I would love to have you look at my build.

I like the brake mod. I am building a 9A, so it may not be applicable, but when I sit and try to work the rudder - then the brake on my plane, it is not easy to brake without pushing the rudder. I really don't like the lose rudder cables. Does the 10 have lose cables too? I am looking at using conduit or PEX tubing - especially through the cab area.

Thanks

Sean, I got into SLC yesterday. I wish I had thought about coming over and seeing your plane. We are heading out tomorrow, so maybe next time. If you ever get in the Glenwood Springs - Aspen area, I would love to have you look at my build.

I like the brake mod. I am building a 9A, so it may not be applicable, but when I sit and try to work the rudder - then the brake on my plane, it is not easy to brake without pushing the rudder. I really don't like the lose rudder cables. Does the 10 have lose cables too? I am looking at using conduit or PEX tubing - especially through the cab area.

Thanks

These springs won't change the issue of lose cables.

And the tightness of the pedal to master issue, is just a matter of proper adjustment of the fasteners. These springs look like they will work just fine. But there is no problem with the springs and collar over the shaft.... It has nothing to do with scaring the piston IN the cylinder.

These springs won't change the issue of lose cables.

And the tightness of the pedal to master issue, is just a matter of proper adjustment of the fasteners. These springs look like they will work just fine. But there is no problem with the springs and collar over the shaft.... It has nothing to do with scaring the piston IN the cylinder.

Gasman is correct - This is not a fix for loose rudder cables. If you don't like the loose rudder cables you can buy Aerosport Products' rudder trim. It works great and as a by-product it keeps the rudder cables tight. That also keeps the rudder from banging around in a light wind. I have one and love it.

I spoke to George at Matco, who supplies Vans with the master cylinders. He said it was a great fix because he didn't like builders putting springs over the pistons. He is the person who told me it would scar. I guess if you buy the right parts, where the spring won't rub on the piston in the compressed state, it will work. He is sending builders my way who ask. As I stated earlier, not everyone has the problem. My pedals were loose from the individual bolts and still not returning the pedal. I tried the spring on the actuator and didn't like the setup.

Rockwood, I was just in KEGE a few days ago for work. Probably the same time you were in KSLC. I will have to make a trip out there. Pretty area!

X over pic placeholder

Can't see the pic on this (and a lot of other posts)...something in the software I'm using or settings?

Back