What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy frame to skin bulge-C-702/WD-716

chrishalfman

I see this has been asked before, (see previous post)http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=16356&highlight=wd-716+c-702
but I?m still a bit clueless. My assembly looks identical to what is posted, but didn?t get a really good feeling on the fix for the exceptionally wide gap. The wide gap fix question was asked in the thread, but no one really answered it. Do you make a shim, rivet it to the skin and then epoxy it to the frame (assuming it is thick enough that a rivet can?t go through all three materials)? Or do you build it up with stuff (epoxy and filler) and drill and rivet to that? As a side note-I?ve never messed with fiberglass in my life-even more clueless about fiberglass than I am about how I want to fix this. I?m guessing I want this done before I start fitting the canopy so the skin can?t float and change how the glass lays down after trimming. Or, do you just fil the hole with a rivet and blob in some epoxy/other underneath it to hold the skin in place?
Thanks!

I used longer blind rivets and filled the gap with washers. Took about 3 washers on each rivet, IIRC.

Did you use countersunk blind rivets? Or just a Ace Hardware variety? Trying to imagine how cosmetic it is.......

Back