What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My gust lock

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
I wanted to thank the individual who posted his design for a gustlock several weeks ago here in the forums. I did a little modification on his design and came up with this one for our RV6A. Cost, less than $10.00, weighs less than 2 lbs.
3588bbd.jpg

how does it work? :)

just wondering if any of us have sat in the cockpit on a gusty day!?!?

I'd like to think my external locks hold the sufaces in place, and absorb some fo the shock.

This lock looks awesome; I wonder tho if it could be improved with a bit of rubber or spring somewhere, to take the 'snatch' and bang out of gusts???

I made one similiar to the one above for my 7. The bend isn't required if you cut it the correct length to wedge it into the seat forward buckhead. I put a rubber knob on the end like one you'd find on a cane.

One nice thing is that you will never forget to remove it.

Maybe...

I'm not sure I like not having the elevator in a neutral position. What would happen if you shortened the length, and added Velcro to the ends? Think that would work?
gustlock_zps79a1700b.jpg

I like the design...simple and cheap and impossible to fly with it in place. I don't think putting Velcro on the ends that go on the rudder pedals would work for me...It seems like it would be a bit hard for us old guys to bend down there and install/remove it. How about if the ends were turned 90° so they hooked DOWN over the pedals? Then the end that goes on the stick could be Velcroed shut and there would (probably) be no fore and aft stick movement. Something to try out...PVC pipe is cheap.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ - flying
St. Louis, MO

Having an "A" model with full upholstery, there was no way to run a straight pipe back because of the triangular area where the landing gear attach. I'll tak a pic when I get out to the airport. When the lock is in place, the pressure between the rudder pedal placement and around the stick in the full aft position keeps everything in place. There is very little movement of the unit. On our plane, the piece that goes around the stick cannot ride up because it is stopped by the wooden grip at it's bottom. I also used a larger diameter 1/2 tube over the rudder pedals because I have my "anti brake" system installed on the bottom of the brake pedals.I'll take a photo of the lock in place and hopefully it'll answer all of your questions. Or----come on down to Florida, escape some winter and take a look for yourself.

Yes

I like the design...simple and cheap and impossible to fly with it in place. I don't think putting Velcro on the ends that go on the rudder pedals would work for me...It seems like it would be a bit hard for us old guys to bend down there and install/remove it. How about if the ends were turned 90? so they hooked DOWN over the pedals? Then the end that goes on the stick could be Velcroed shut and there would (probably) be no fore and aft stick movement. Something to try out...PVC pipe is cheap.

I like that...

One nice thing is that you will never forget to remove it.

Now that is a really good point Dan. I'm thinking I'd rather put up with possibility of a "little slop" in this control opposed to forgetting to remove an external control. I know of a couple of close calls where, fortunately, they discovered the controls in place before continuing a take off. :eek:

As promised, I am including a few pics of my gust lock in place on the airplane. A velcro strap could be used to wrap arond the stick but I don't think it is necessary as the back pressure really holds it in place. It doesn't move side to side because of the width of the rudder pedals. Enjoy-
2h6eq34.jpg

t0507a.jpg

33bh14x.jpg

I put one together with a 45 degree union instead of the bend. Works fine. I think I will run a small bungee from the stick to the bottom lip of the panel to neutralize the elevator and hold the bottom end tight against the pedals. PVC and duct tape... the two most useful materials known to man!

Back