What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Damaged ring gear - how serious?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
On my 105TTSN IO360B1B, this damage occurred during shipping. I knew about it before I bought it, took that into account. It does not LOOK bad at first glance - but this is one of those areas where I know enough to know that I don't know - so I'm asking others that do know.

This is actually on the aft side of the alternator V-belt pulley. Is this damage bad enough to replace it, or can I just dress it out and polish it?

1000151z.jpg

I can't see how that damage could occur with the it mounted on the motor.

If that were mine, I would dress it up and go with it. If I had it off the motor I might have that entire edge dressed on a lathe.

Dress out the area and then have it dye penetrant inspected just to make sure you don't have cracks. Be sure to do a good prop balance.

Thanks guys, that was what I figured but wanted to get some second opinions. This piece was shipped loose, not mounted on the prop flange, and rubbed on another component in the box during shipping to cause that damage.

Fortunately, through work I have access to dye penetrant so I'll dress it out and have it checked.

Back