What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help the Eagle?s Nest ? Bid On the RV-1 Aera 500 GPS!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I am sure that many members here on VAF have heard of the Eagle?s Nest projects ? RV-12?s being built by Teens as part of their High School curriculums. With pilot numbers dwindling and general aviation shrinking, helping youth get involved in our passion is vitally important, and now you can pitch in!

Garmin was kind enough to contribute and era 500 GPS to the RV-1 project to allow the RV-1 to be taken around the continent on its International Tour. With the tour complete, and the RV-1 safely at its final home in Oshkosh, Garmin told us that they didn?t need the GPS back, so we?d like to ?auction? it off and give the proceeds to Eagles Nest ? the inheritor of the ?Friends of the RV-1? organization. The Aera is a fine standalone portable GPS ? you can check out the specifics on the Garmin web site:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=37810

The new list price is $799 with all accessories. Keep in mind that this one has been used, and comes with the suction cup mount, a dashboard mount, and 12V charging cable ONLY (the A/C charger is somewhere out there on the trail). Database was current as of late spring, 2012. And of course, this unit is historic ? it flew about 7,000 miles in the RV-1!

The auction is simple ? place your bid here in a response to this thread by 1600 Central Standard Time on Friday the 25th of January, 2013. Highest bid gets the unit, and the proceeds (every dollar) goes to the Eagle?s Nest. It?s a nice GPS for someone with a simple RV, a nice backup unit, a great back seat GPS for tandems?but best of all, you get to help young men and women get a taste of aviation and learn the values of honesty, discipline, and precision required to build airplanes.

Rememebr - this isn't just about buying a GPS - it is about helping build young adults!

Let's start the bidding at $300

That's a good start folks! Remember that the "Friends of the RV-1" is a non-profit corporation, so donations are tax deductable.

Last edited:
That's a good statrt folks! Remember that the "Friends of the RV-1" is a non-profit corporation, so donations are tax deductable.
Not entirely. As I understand it*, the general rule is that you can't claim a charitable contribution deduction if you received something of value in return. If the winning bid is in excess of the value of the GPS, the winner may only claim the excess amount as a deduction.

Tax benefits or not, this is for a good cause and I hope the winning bid reflects that!

*I likely don't. :)

Last edited:
Not entirely. As I understand it*, the general rule is that you can't claim a charitable contribution deduction if you received something of value in return. If the winning bid is in excess of the value of the GPS, the winner may only claim the excess amount as a deduction.

Tax benefits or not, this is for a good cause and I hope the winning bid reflects that!

*I likely don't. :)

Do you put the coffee mug that PBS sends you when you pledge on your tax return? :)

Nice offer, Glenn

But, I'm sure folks out there can do better. It's a great cause!

I hope everyone had a wonderful of a flying weekend as us but it's time to get back into the bidding mode. :D

Only One More Day Folks!

Glen has the high bid so far....who wants to top him?

Remember, this is about getting teens into airplane building and aviation - the GPS is just a nice "Thank You".

It's gotta be better than a Click and Clack Tote Bag! ;):D

OK folks, you've got just about 50 minutes left on this opportunity - the bid is $430...anyone going to go higher?!

OK!!!!!!

Kai, you are a hero - I'll PM you with the details, and the Eagle's Nest folks will be extremely appreciative!

Paul

$600 will solo two more kids, maybe three! We are building pilots as well as planes. We have two kids who have savings accounts for RVs as well as college funds. We are extremely appreciative of things like this that move us along, and kids toward aviation. Thanks from all of us at Eagle's Nest!

Bob Kelly

Back