What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Darn it away! Flywheel belt, forgot to put it on.

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Just torqued extension bolts on flywheel and looked at the ground and saw the belt I was suppose to put on,OOPS! Was wondering if I can remove the two bolts and one nut off starter to drop starter down just a bit to slip on belt. Prop not on yet. Wasn't sure if there was something connected into engine (YIO 320) block from the starter other than the three, bolts and nut..Is there a gasket between block and starter.What would be the re-torque values on those three.This looks the easiest way to get the belt on.What your thoughts. much appreciated!

Ron in Oregon

Don't feel bad, I installed the prop then could not find a way to stretch the belt over the prop. I was just checking the fit...thats it.

As gasman said, that will be fine. The bolt and 3 nuts that hold the starter are 5/16-18 thread. Per the Lycoming overhaul manual, that size bolt or nut should be torqued to 17 ft-lb (204 in/lb).

Probably faster......

........and easier to just unbolt the spacer and start over. The bolts on the starter are finiky to get to and will have to come pretty much completely out
to install the belt. (ask me how I know):D

Kurt thanks for the torque values. I'll give it a try. Don I tried taking the the bolts out but the locktite 242 adds 12 ft lbs to the removal and since I was by my shelf I couldn't hold the flywheel still and break the the bolts loose at the same time. I'm just working my way to setting the upper cowl/hinges so I have nothing in the way of the starter thats why those bolts looked the easiest on the starter. Thanks guys. I guess this OOPS is nothing new.I'm told welcome to the WORLD of engine-omics! Thank God I didn't put the 3 bladed Catto prop on yet. RV9A Ron in Oregon

http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwist-plus/?=

I have had excellent results with these belts on machinery and I see no reason why they can't be used for an alternator belt. They do significantly reduce vibration. I will be using one of these on my Rocket.

Interesting idea. What sort of machinery have you used them on? Do you know offhand what size cross section we would need (yes, I could probably figure it out myself but I'm being lazy)?

I've used them on my lathe, surface grinder, two mills, and on a drill press. It significantly reduced vibration on my lathe and made a noticeable difference in the finish of the turned part.

I've used them on my lathe, surface grinder, two mills, and on a drill press. It significantly reduced vibration on my lathe and made a noticeable difference in the finish of the turned part.

I'm sold. My lathe needs a new belt. Thanks for the info. Nice concept for a spare alternator belt too. Would beat pulling my Hartzell far from home.

Interesting. I wonder if the adjustability would let one better control alternator position, to avoid rubbing on the inside of the cowling.

http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwist-plus/?=

I have had excellent results with these belts on machinery and I see no reason why they can't be used for an alternator belt. They do significantly reduce vibration. I will be using one of these on my Rocket.

This looks like a good item for the emergency repair toolkit...which one is the correct size for a Lycoming? And do they come in lengths shorter than a gazillion feet for hundreds of dollars? :)

Interesting. I wonder if the adjustability would let one better control alternator position, to avoid rubbing on the inside of the cowling.

Each link changes the length by 5/8"...... This belt is directional.
Granger catalog notes..... Not suitable for automotive or lawn tractor applications.

So let's get one out there in use and see how it does.

This looks like a good item for the emergency repair toolkit...which one is the correct size for a Lycoming? And do they come in lengths shorter than a gazillion feet for hundreds of dollars? :)

You would need 3L for the size and about 38" long. Look for them to be sold by the inch at your local bearing supply store.

Be sure to test fit this way before you need it.

I'll have to check this link belt out. Sounds like a good one for a spare. VERY review was A+. Thats hard to find!... I'll have to scope it out tomorrow after I get the belt on, either the starter goes or the extension bolts go but I'll get'r on..RV9A Ron in Oregon

Gasman,Wayne,Kurt. Well the starter came down a 1/4" after loosening the starter bolts and I slipped the belt on. Then installed the alernator, and throttle body. No linkage or line fuel lines or wiring yet. I have to find some pictures because Im not seeing the cable for the mixture or throttle yet. Not sure what plan page its on. I have the IO320. Did you guys install you fuel from the spider on top of the engine down between the #2 & #4 clinders or did you go straight out the back of the baffle and then down to the throttle body.? Thanks guys. Ron in Oregon.

Sorry, Ron, but I can't offer knowledgeable advice here as my engine is carb'ed. Glad you got that belt on.

I have always wondered about those belts and using them for an alternator
on an airplane.

They do work great on a lathe and mill.

Back