What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just a time lapse of me in the garage

N546RV

Well Known Member
I wish I'd decided to set this up earlier in the night. I was just starting my left elevator, and it would have been cool to see the individual parts come together for drilling and then fly apart again. Unfortunately, by the time I had this idea, I was almost done clecoing the skin to the skeleton.

Plus, in my haste, I didn't set the camera up right; I prefer to shoot in 16:9 for time lapse, and I also usually lower the resolution. In particular, since I didn't lower the resolution, I ran out of space on my memory card after about 50 minutes.

Oh well, better luck next time... :)

https://vimeo.com/57189425

I love those things!

Looking good Philip - I really like those time lapse compilations...you really get to see all the iterations that one must go thru before the "part" is complete. Observation : Only in the world of aluminum airplane manufacturing do you start out with a bunch of pieces clecoed together that form the left elevator...and end up with a few individual pieces sitting all alone on the workbench :D

I think these are great for those lurkers out there trying to decide if building is for them. Thanks for posting!

Looking good Philip - I really like those time lapse compilations...you really get to see all the iterations that one must go thru before the "part" is complete. Observation : Only in the world of aluminum airplane manufacturing do you start out with a bunch of pieces clecoed together that form the left elevator...and end up with a few individual pieces sitting all alone on the workbench :D

I think these are great for those lurkers out there trying to decide if building is for them. Thanks for posting!

A friend on Facebook wanted to know why I took the finished part off the bench at the end, or didn't end with a good photo of the finished part, or something like that. I'm like "Finished part? What finished part?"

To the lay person, work like that should end with a completed part. Us builders know that it's just one of about 3-4 times the thing gets assembled before it's actually riveted.

:D

I want to do more of these, preferably with a little better prep and set up. This one was kind of cool in concept, but you can't really tell what I'm doing. Maybe I'll shoot another one when it comes time to do final assembly on the elevator. Then I can also satisfy the guy who wants to see a finished part.

:)

time lapse photography

Hi Philip

I received a go pro for christmas, and I haven't had time to play around with it yet. What interval do you use between the photo's for this kind of result?

Cheers.

Joe Hine

Hi Philip

I received a go pro for christmas, and I haven't had time to play around with it yet. What interval do you use between the photo's for this kind of result?

Cheers.

Joe Hine

I think for this one, I was shooting at half-second intervals. I use my Canon SX40HS; by using aftermarket firmware, I can run scripts on the camera to do lots of interesting things, one of which is to have the camera take pictures at regular intervals. So I just set the camera up, set the timer script to take shots at whatever interval is good for the situation, and let it roll.

It's easier to do with an SLR camera; you can just buy an intervalometer and not have to bother with the firmware hacks and all that fun stuff. Not sure there's any good way to do a time lapse with a GoPro or similar though, though you could take regular video and just speed it up when you edit it later.

My roommate does some pretty cool time lapse stuff: http://vimeo.com/56405208

Also, I shot another time lapse the following night. This time I decided to focus on the unsung task of building, deburring. I even added some quasi-Muzak to set the tone. :D

http://vimeo.com/57255817

Back