VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Default RV-7 N117TR

Started Jan 2005, currently working FWF and hope to fly this summer. Canopy and fiberglass done....for now.

Tonight's progress on the FAB top plate.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 AM

Default Nice progress!

But the amber ale in the background looks better! Yum!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM

Finally back at it after the holidays, riveted nut plates and filter retainers deburred etc. I bent the FAB top plate to match the air scoop using a cool angle finder app and drilled it to the fiberglass bottom. 3 hours and 20 min man I'm SLOW!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM

Cut air box to fit snorkel.

Spent 1.3 and bagged up my misc hardware that's been collecting on the bench. I may have to take a break from airplane building to make another batch of beer, had to buy some...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM

Fiberglassed the scoop back on and decided to try and make my own air bypass. The stock bypass has some bad reviews and you cannot reset without pulling the cowl. I taped up and waxed a piece 3x6x.063 scrap and glassed it to the bottom of the FAB. I added a couple of Popsicle sticks to the center so I could cut out the center for attaching the cable, I left the back open so in theory the .063 will slide right out once its cured. I'll find out tomorrow!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM

Waiting for the epoxy holding the foam in the scoop to dry so I can carve and glass it before work tomorrow.

Some of my ugliest fiberglass yet on my alternate alternate air, I told myself no one would ever see it.... I really hope no one does.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM

You would think with two little girls there would be a balloon in the house/garage somewhere but had to borrow the lettuce bag.

I just put one layer in the first night just in-case it didn't turn out I didn't want to sand multiple layers of glass. Next day it was great, the glass conformed Perfectly to the foam. I bought balloons (per Vans plans) and put 2 more layers of glass in but when I blew up the balloon it required too much pressure to expand and slowly squeezed the fiberglass out of the scoop. Back to the fridge to snag the last veggie bag, green onions. Maybe the "hot dog" shaped balloons would work better than veggie bags, probably smell better than onions too!

Last edited by crabandy : 01-11-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM

After filler...

Yes I am wearing socks with my flip flops, it's cold...

Thanks to Chris and Jed at SteinAir for their expertise and the enormous amount of time they spent on the phone to put together my wiring/sensor order!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Installing G3x engine sensors

Had to clean cylinder head ports with a tap to get the CHT sensors installed, also installed/safetyed oil temp and plug.

I have a little clearance issue on the Hall effect sensor for my single dual bendix mag, solution on the way.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 PM

After Matt's machine shop it fit great, now to figure out how to reinstall/time the mag.