What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No oil, but chromed cylinders?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
Hi all,

About to move on an engine deal. In talking with the seller, the engine has been vertical on an engine stand since '06. It has newly-reconditioned chromed cylinders, new crank, etc etc etc. *But*, since it's vertical on the stand, it has had all oil drained out of it. I normally would think this is a red flag. But the guy said he talked with an A&P local to him. The A&P said that even though there's no oil, the chromed cylinders should not corrode while the engine is in storage.

Everything on the engine's back story so far checks out, and I'm very much ready to move on it. But I wanted another opinion on here because it's been vertical for 6 years without oil. What else should I be worrying about?

Cam and Lifters

Probably the biggest vulnerability for an old engine that was not pickled is the cam and lifters.

Unless you can look at them with a boroscope somehow (experts here know how?) then I would be wary.

I agree. Since it is on the stand with no intakes or exhaust it isn"t too hard to pull a cylinder and piston off to get a good look at the cam and lifters.

Pull a jug!

Defiantly pull a jug. Not just cam but in 6 years the oil has drained off every surface, con rods, crank, exhaust valves, rocker arms, gears etc all can rust. If it was stored inside in the desert I'd still look inside.
Good luck
Tim

Back