- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Photo/Video URLs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Post Frankenstorm Patrol

So I surveyed the NJ coastline today. It was easy to tell which towns were north of the eye and which towns were south. Atlantic City and south suffered flood and sand damage...North of Atlantic City suffered catostrophic damages!!

I had to beat a Presidential TFR so I did not have time to go further North in NY but I sure Vlad will do so when his plane is back in business.

Lots of sand damage to the South.

Some water damage.

Atlantic City lost a boardwalk.

But North of Atlantic City (North of the eye), got KILLED!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM

This town is no longer under water....it's under sand!

This is an expolsion of some sort and the gas main is still spewing flames 15 feet high. Notice that there WERE 4 beach front properties that are no longer there.

This inlet to the bay did not exist a week ago.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM

The rest of the pictures can be seen here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1031625...neSandyDamage#

I am sorry they are a bit blurry. I was the pilot and photographer on a somewhat bumpy day with a LOT to look at. The RV is rather fast too! I had to dodge swarms of helos all over the coast too. You will find if you zoom in then much of the damage becomes evident.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Wow that is intense! Those are better than the images I have seen on the news!

Thanks for sharing those. My condolences to those who were affected - tragic!
RV-8 'Contrary Mary' flying
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 PM

Amazing images and kind of hard to comprehend. And then there was the next page. And the page after that.

I've never been to visit the affected area but I can imagine, for those who live there and for those who have strong memories of the area, the images will evoke strong emotion.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM

New York got its share too. It's still pitch black downtown. Upper East Side is on upper grounds and we have power feels good. People coming from below 30ies streets for food and movies. Restaurants are packed and there were lines for food. Couldn't launch app to post couple pictures. A flight is planned on Saturday morning but I am not sure I could make it to the airport. Nobody taking the phone at FBO front desk couldn't check status on hangar. Tony could you take a look from above weather permitting?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 PM

TK!

Thanks for the GREAT Recon mission!

The "New" inlet picture is the Bridge we take to get to my parents beach house.

The little houses you took a picture of is where the house is located! Apparently all full of sand, but still in one piece.

There was no way for us to find out what to expect, but your pictures will help my parent better prepare for there loss - thank goodness it is only a material loss! A lot of people lost so much more in this storm, my heart goes out to them.

Thanks, I owe you one.

Last edited by SmilingJack : 10-31-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Default Amazing

Great photos Tony. This was a devastating storm for sure. Damage in the Philadelphia area was very localized. Some areas (mine) had expected damage, others look like war zones. If anyone in the area needs to borrow a generator send me a message.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Tony, thanks for the photos, much better than what the news media has been putting out.

How did you fair at your place?? Hope all is fine, just washed off nice and clean.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Default Be careful...

!FDC 2/5501 ZNY AND 2/5502 ZDC NJ.. SPECIAL NOTICE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS ARE ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE BORDERING THE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE INCLUDING MONMOUTH, ATLANTIC, OCEAN COUNTIES AND CAPE MAY, NEW JERSEY, WITHIN .5 NM EITHER SIDE OF THE SHORELINE 1500 FEET AND BELOW DUE TO EXTENSIVE DISASTER RELIEF, RECOVERY AND RECONSTITUTION EFFORTS, SEARCH AND RESCUE, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MEDIVAC OPERATIONS BEING CONDUCTED IN AND AROUND THE NEW JERSEY SHORELINE. PILOTS SHOULD EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION DUE TO LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT. FLIGHT CREWS SHOULD REMAIN IN CONTACT WITH THE APPROPRIATE ATC FACILITY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT POSSIBLE. PILOTS SHOULD ALSO BE PARTICULARLY ALERT FOR POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS THAT MAY BE IMPLEMENTED AND CHECK NOTAMS OFTEN. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS ARE REMINDED TO MAINTAIN HEIGHTENED VIGILANCE AND SITUATIONAL AWARENESS WHILE OPERATING WITHIN THE AFFECTED AREAS. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT THE AIR TRAFFIC OPERATIONS INCIDENT RESPONSE MANAGEMENT CENTER (AIRMAC) AT 202-267-5418.